"The Official" Paula Cole Thread

Saturngirl

Reaction score
Anyone in the Central Ohio area want to road trip to Detroit with us Friday for the Paula show? Trying to defray gas cost but will probably go no matter what!
Not staying overnight, so plan on a LONG night, with return in the wee hours of Saturday AM because we will stay after the show to talk to Paula!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Anyone in the Central Ohio area want to road trip to Detroit with us Friday for the Paula show? Trying to defray gas cost but will probably go no matter what!
Not staying overnight, so plan on a LONG night, with return in the wee hours of Saturday AM because we will stay after the show to talk to Paula!

I'm not going to lie Saturn Girl! I think I'm the only official Paula Cole fan in this forum and it makes sense since this is primarily a classic rock forum. :heheh: I love Paula but I'm a NH resident and that'd be way to far for me! I saw you were replying and I got excited so the concert roadtrip wasn't what I was expecting. :heheh: I was hoping you'd actually have some Paula material or anecdotes about her to add to the thread! :( :heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
It seems like all my artist are coming out with new material which is overwhelming but great! Paula's new c.d. is out now and it sounds like she is going back to her more alternative This Fire sound which is great! :grinthumb

Paula Cole-Ithaca
41uvVNxRE1L.jpg

Music In Me
(great new single)

Here's Paula on the new album and samples of her new songs:

Ithaca EPK

Ithaca

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster!
So happy this thread was started, 100% agree Paula Cole is so underrated. She is hands down in my top 5 favorite female artists of the 90s. I'm actually going to see her in my home town in Metropolis Performing arts center in my hometown (Arlington Heights, IL).
I've seen her live before, she's unreal. Her voice gives me goosebumps every time. Anyone else in the Chicago area going to this show? It's like a 300 seater venue with amazing sound, can't believe it's not sold out.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
**dusts off thread** Seems like this has been in the darkness for quite a long time jeje... But yeah Paula is amazing and like Soot said truly underrated. The perception of what she does based on 2 songs versus who she is and what her catalogue actually is couldn't be further off, in my opinion. The strongest female singer, songwriter and producer most likely ever. Paula is so explosive, dynamic and simply a beautiful person. She is easily in my top 5 favorite female vocalists of all time along with Tori Amos, Amy Lee, Lisa Gerrard and Joy Williams.

I'm trying to see if I can make it to the Restore Freedom Gala 2012 (an important organization that empowers victims of sex trafficking in NYC) where Paula Cole and Amy Lee will be on stage together performing each of their songs... But the tickets are so damn expensive.. the cheapest is $100
fainting.gif

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I missed Paula Cole in my area actually! :uh: I'm glad you bumped this because I found a ton of links that I could update as opposed to before where youtube was lacking some plus when I made the thread we didn't have the grooveshark embedding link! All dusted and fixed now. I see you are a Harbinger fan. I never quite grabbed onto that album. "This Fire" is still my favorite album as cliche as that is but I still love every follow up to that. She took some non-commercial risks on her "Amen" album that may have slowed her momentum but I like how she does things her way. Especially on "Courage" where she slows it down and brings it back to her Jazz roots. "Ithaca" was really strong and brought back the energy she had with "This Fire". What's your favorite album out of her catalog? My favorite song as you probably saw (which actually has a youtube vid now! Yaaayyy!!!! :D) is "Throwing Stones". Never has she been as fierce IMO. Any song stand out for you? :)

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
I missed Paula Cole in my area actually! :uh: I'm glad you bumped this because I found a ton of links that I could update as opposed to before where youtube was lacking some plus when I made the thread we didn't have the grooveshark embedding link! All dusted and fixed now. I see you are a Harbinger fan. I never quite grabbed onto that album. "This Fire" is still my favorite album as cliche as that is but I still love every follow up to that. She took some non-commercial risks on her "Amen" album that may have slowed her momentum but I like how she does things her way. Especially on "Courage" where she slows it down and brings it back to her Jazz roots. "Ithaca" was really strong and brought back the energy she had with "This Fire". What's your favorite album out of her catalog? My favorite song as you probably saw (which actually has a youtube vid now! Yaaayyy!!!! :D) is "Throwing Stones". Never has she been as fierce IMO. Any song stand out for you? :)

Well to be honest the only song I really like on Harbinger is Black Boots, it's among my top favorite from Paula, but the rest are pretty decent. Courage is good, it was her gentle kind of "comeback" record. She really only musically wrote 2 songs on it (It's My Life & Until I Met You) so that in itself makes it different than her other works (she writes everything), and the fact she had nothing to do with producing it (TF & Amen she did on her own, Harbinger & Ithaca were her w/Kevin Killen). This Fire was a great record that was actually recorded in like under 20 days (all 1-2 take performances after she fired Kevin and blew 100K in label money). If I'd had to pick a favorite I'd say it's This Fire too :grinthumb.. Yes we all know that it's her most commercial and successful with hit songs I Don't Want to Wait and Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? but the other songs on that album are incredible. Mississippi is my #1 song by Paula and 2nd is Hush, Hush, Hush which features Peter Gabriel, saddest song I've ever heard in my entire life. Ithaca is really great too with all the big rock hooks and energy but I haven't really listened to it much to really compare with the other albums. But yeah This Fire to me a a masterpiece.

Oh and this sexy thing!..

thisfire

Reaction score
Ah it's nice to see this thread!

I'm not from the U.S. (I'm from Manila, Philippines!), but I do care & love Paula Cole's music and am so happy to share with you that she's back!

Yes! She will be releasing her first fan-funded (thru Kickstarter)/independent release album entitled, "Raven" on April 23rd.

You can now preview the songs here: Store - Paula Cole and pre-order the album too.

Also, she will be having an album release party in New York on May 3.
So if you have the means, go & see her. You can purchase the tickets here: City Winery Paula Cole(Album Release) - 5/3

She's been pretty active on her Facebook/Twitter channel which is for me is rather exciting. So if you'd like to connect with her & find out what she's up to or even to say hello, here are the official links you need:

- Paula Cole - Home
- https://www.facebook.com/paulacolemusic
- https://twitter.com.com/paulacolemusic

Oh and if you know anyone in Manila who likes Paula Cole, please spread the word that Paula Cole Asia (her unofficial fan club) are doing a tribute night on April 4 at Conspiracy Cafe in Quezon City, more details here: Life Goes On: the Paula Cole tribute night | Facebook

Thanks for reading & keep the faith in music!

- Ed :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I've finally received and got to listen to the new Paula Cole album a good number of times and honestly though I've never heard a bad Paula Cole album this feels like the proper followup to This Fire and it's awesome!

Raven
407fc73232614f2607fd7001053.jpg

This album has Paula at top form vocally and songwriting wise. Their's a piece of everything that Paula has captured throughout her career on this album. My favorite moments though is the return of the fierceness she had on This Fire. My favorite songs by far are Manitoba and Secretary. On Manitoba their is something raw and spiritual about this that reminds me that she once had that otherwordly carnal vibe that only few other female artist like Tori have ever had. Plus that note right before the 5 minute mark gives me chills:

Manitoba

On Secretary is my favorite vocal and it amazed me that she still can belt it out so awesomely at this point. All her albums have been so subdued until this point that this was so refreshing to hear. I love the dark vibe to this song. This song almost has an organic trip-hop vibe to it and is an awesome rock song:

Secretary

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online