"The Official" Paula Cole Thread

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Paula Cole

715GgB9HwZL._SL600_.jpg

Out of all the powerful female artist that I discovered in my high school years in the 90's I feel that Paula Cole is the most underrated artist in the group. Despite having huge well deserved success with This Fire, Paula got trapped being remembered as the chick with Dawsons Creek song and one of the hippy Lilith fair bunch! It's sad because she's put out great work all the way up to the aptly titled Courage in 2007. In just those four albums Paula's taken huge strides and hasn't remade the same album yet. In fact, she nearly lost the alternative in Courage and taken a very jazzy route. It works because she's legit and can do whatever she wants with her talent!

1181571600_1716.jpg

Next to Tori Amos, I think that the most intimate soul baring female singer may be Paula. There are times, especially on This Fire where she was so raw in her emotion where it would be a little uncomfortable but it would give me chills nonetheless! Paula was no one trick pony like history would want you to believe! IMO she's one of the most underrated artist I've had the pleasure of hearing! Here are her works:

Harbinger
6a313a2bbb22fd4db276fb7af5daee8f.jpg

To be honest, this debut is my least favorite of the bunch. I feel she spent way to much time singing and brooding in her lower register and was far better when she loosened that up in future albums and sang like most people have heard her! Nonetheless, here are some standout tracks!:

These in particular in show Paula's fearless use of everything in her voice (beatboxing, rhythmic breathing, etc.) to get a connection to the music!

Chiaroscuro

[GROOVESHARK]838730[/GROOVESHARK]

Now to my favorite!

This Fire
img_3_pr.jpg

Track for track I thing this album is a classic and I could post every song. The singles do not do the scope of the album justice and do not display it's depths so I'll leave them out! You've all heard them before anyway even if you don't know it yet! :lmao: Here are the real album standouts IMO:

Throwing Stones

I LOVE this song! Such a vicious song that hits hard but has a groove you can ride all the way! I love the mix of piano, drums and Paula's immense vocals which drags you through her range of emotions! Best use of motherf***er ever! I love when profanity is thought out in a song and built up to!

Nietzche's Eyes
You want sincerity in a song! This is it! Paula is so fearless and inhibits this song so much that the rawness can be uncomfortable at first especially at the last :45 seconds! I love it though and it gives me chills!

Me
(The best single IMO)

Hush, Hush, Hush
Two words!

Peter Gabriel!

I saved my thread! :lmao: Paula did a duet with Peter in a moving song a bout Aids.

Hush, Hush, Hush

I going to wait before doing the next to albums but as a bonus here's a couple more Peter Gabriel-Paula Cole Collaborations! :grinthumb

Don't Give Up

Come Talk to Me

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
O.K., part two of albums!

Paula Cole Band-Amen

179953_1_f.png

This short 9 song album wasn't very popular especially in comparison to it's predecessor but I thought it was great. The band credit made sense because the full band sound is very prevalent here. IMO, Paula is at her funkiest on this album!

I Believe In Love
(the disco sweeping strings, the funkiness, Paulas jazz trained vocals, grear single)

Amen
(great live version)

Be Somebody
(my favorite of this album, love the vocal rhythms and lyrics)

Rhythm of Life
(Paula Coles hip hop song, reminds of TLC's Creep musically)

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Courage

album-courage.jpg

This album was the truest to the mellow soft Jazz roots that Paula was trained in! Some of it even has a loungy vibe but it's a good album to chill to. Even though it loses the fierceness of her prior works it made for some beautiful melodic tracks.

Coming Down
(has an old western vibe)

[GROOVESHARK]23486239[/GROOVESHARK]
(showing her Peter Gabriel influence)

Until I met You ft. Paul Buchanan
(I love this duet and the male vocalist is great as well! Such an amazing classy track)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Awesome stuff! It's nice to get a broader view of an artist and your threads always supply that. :grinthumb

Nietzche's Eyes is awesome! :phones:

Amen is really good...like that one...the performance with Gabriel on Come Talk To Me is Top Notch!!

what DVD is that from?? I have the video years of Gabriel and I love that DVD but I need to get this one.

Been listening a bit here and will finish it all up tonight!!

:cheers:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
It says it's a DVD for the Secret World Live tour on the youtube vids! Peter became a big fan of Paula after her first album so they took on sort of a musical alliance. I love Nietzches Eyes! It's so raw but upon listening to the vid here (the only one I could find) it seems cut off which is too bad! Yes, if you like what you've heard it's safe to say you'll like the rest! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Secret World Live!! yeah that's it! there is a trailer for it on my DVD!!

I need to pick that up PRONTO!! OK..checking out the rest of the vids here...

:grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Until I met You is :grinthumb

Why does the video say Unstoppable Force??? What is that?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online