Register to remove these ads

The Official Joss Stone thread

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by TheFeldster, Mar 5, 2011.

1. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

A little introduction to a fantastic singer that I'm just fully exploring

[​IMG]

Joss Stone is a British R&B and soul singer, described by someone on the Internet (probably a YouTube commentor, I can't remember) as a "coherent Janis Joplin"

I'm happy to go on record saying that for the most part R&B singers today don't seem to me to fit into the same genre as the likes of Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett and Dusty Springfield.

Joss Stone is the exception to that rule. While some of her songs that I've heard are very heavily influenced with the current interpretation of R&B (which I'm afraid isn't my cup of tea), she has some great soul songs which I, unsurprisingly, find to be her strong point.

At only 23 years of age, Joss Stone has released 4 albums, and played alongside some big name musicians, including Herbie Hancock, Les Paul, Sting, Santana, Elton John, Dean Martin, Ringo Starr, Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart and Rob Thomas.

She is also (an the whole teenage male part of me is taking control here) the sexiest thing to happen to music since Deborah Harry. :grinthumb

But enough of me rambling on. Here's some music.

2. FunkyDrummer345

FunkyDrummer345 FunkyD

I'm surprised no one made a Joss Stone thread until now. She's got some pipes for sure. Drop dead gorgeous as well. So hot lol.

3. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

I'll have to give this artist a listen before I dive into this thread. Haven't heard of her until now.

4. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

So was I. I had to search about 4 times to convince myself that no-one had made the thread yet :heheh:

Here's a great duet between Joss Stone and Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty fame, doing the Tom Petty/Stevie Nicks classic "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around"

5. Soot and Stars

Soot and Stars I AM SOOT! Staff Member

I have these:

[​IMG][​IMG]

She kind of lost me after that first c.d.! Although she has great pipes I personally never found her own material that intriguing! Having said that here are the tracks I like from her:

Fell In Love With A Boy
    (I like this better than the White Stripes version :D)

Holding Out For A Hero

6. Lynch

Lynch Rockin' Out

I've only heard a few things from her. She's got a very cool voice, but her original stuff doesn't do much for me. I do like the remakes she's done though.

I had heard of her, but wasn't able to put a face to the name until I saw her in like Season 3 of The Tudors as one of Henry the Eighth's 55 wives (what a pig, eh?)

7. wisertime

wisertime Keep on Truckin'

Count me in as a fan. Bought Water for Your Soul yesterday and I am digging it. Good pipes, interesting music, good mix of reggae, funk and soul.

[​IMG]

8. Sharp Dressed Man

Sharp Dressed Man Down South Jukin' Staff Member

Couldn't agree more! Big fan of Joss, who I first got to know through her collaboration with Jeff Beck. She also did a superb job on the re-imagining of Jeff Wayne's "The War of the Worlds".

Need to pick up her new album ASAP.

9. joker1961

joker1961 Hopping Mad Frog

love Joss Stone :oyea::bow::omg::grinthumb