The Knack's Bruce Gary: R.I.P.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Bruce Gary, who initially gained fame as the drummer for the Knack & "My Sharona" has died of cancer.

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_236001842.html

I am stunned & saddened @ this news.

bruce_gary.jpg

Around '84, Bruce Gary shared the same accountant as me, CPA Lee Lurie, who also represented Marshall Berle.

Lee brought Bruce downstairs to my shop on Vine St one night when we were auditioning drummers after hours. We had just lost Steve Riley to Steeler, & had a cattle call going on, over several nights.

Bruce watched for a while, the drummers were in cans playing in a booth, & finally Bruce asked if he could sit in with us on a couple tunes, on someone else's kit.

Everything was mic-ed up, & with no talking or explanations, Scotty & I launched into a couple Noizey Walker tunes, that Bruce had never heard before.

Bruce Gary fell right into the groove so seemlessly that our jaws dropped. The jam got a little loose in a few places; the kit was set up different from the way Bruce was used to...but he played miles better than the previous couple dozen auditioners.

http://www.castaicpools.com/AtSeventeen.mp3

Bruce Gary drums, Scotty Van Salter gtr, me bass synth, organ, string machine & voc

At the start of the 2nd song, you can hear me yell "Bruce!" into the mic & Bruce goes "chop chop" with his sticks, & then falls right into place on the next song. The guy was a total pro.

Scotty the gtrst & I wanted to hook up with Bruce really bad, & he dug our tunes...but he was leaving town the next day to go to Europe to tour with Cream's Jack Bruce.

I never saw or spoke with Bruce Gary again until a couple years ago, when he emailed me & I sent him this mp3 from that 1 night in Hollywood 20 years ago.

I want to pay my respects to a great drummer, Bruce Gary, that I had the honor to jam with for that 1 brief session.

IMG_0626a.JPG

runtfan

Reaction score
All I knew him from was The Knack, but just from that, you could tell he was a pro - tight, solid, and crisp.

R.I.P.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
hey! I've got that Hendrix album they remixed with his drums! I guess I'll listen to it tonight. I lived in L.A. when the Knack hit it big nationally and it was a really fun time. Regardless of what bands thought of the Knack and their inescapable hit, most of the ones I was around had stars in their eyes. they had a chance of getting signed! many of them did. that's all that happened to some of them but still, the Knack really meant something here in those days. Yes Virginia, rock and roll dreams really do come true.
he was a really good drummer.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.