The Gates of Slumber !!!!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Depends on the music, DKW. I have never ruled out any band because of a genre tag. Doom doesn't always equal howls and growls but it usually means dark and sometimes depressing lyrics. The lyrics dont phase me, but I sure clamp my ears when I cant understand the growling vocals or the vocals overpower the music........if that makes sense.

:heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I keep an open mind, it has to be pretty brutal for me to not like a band or genre.

I do have a copy of "Ahab", The Call of the Wretched Sea,,,,the Only Whale metal album in the house...:heheh:

joe

Reaction score
Good to hear some newer doom metal Wolf. Most of the stuff I have is from the 80's. Saint Vitus, Candlemass, Trouble, and Witchfinder General. I kinda lost interest in the genre about the same time as I did with thrash metal in the late 80's/early 90's.

Traditional doom is more my thing than funeral/death doom. I guess some of the bands could be overlapped in genres like sludge and stoner metal as well. Hell, what do I know. Anyway, I liked what I heard. I'd be open to hear more of the similar stuff.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Traditional doom is more my thing than funeral/death doom. I guess some of the bands could be overlapped in genres like sludge and stoner metal as well. Hell, what do I know. Anyway, I liked what I heard. I'd be open to hear more of the similar stuff.

^^I have always associated "doom" with the above terms. I have tried to listen to funeral / death doom, but could never seem to get into the music.

I guess you have to acquire a taste for it.

joe

Reaction score
I think some people think the same way Magic. Traditional doom is heavily influenced by Black Sabbath(Black Sabbath and Master Of Reality) and Pentagram and what I have heard, mostly from the 80's, some of it is very good. I have listened to a few funeral/death doom bands and for me I find it too oppressive. I haven't kept up with the music of doom and sure there has been sub-genres developed along the way.

I'll let Wolf elaborate on the music. He's the expert. I'm 20 years behind.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Naturally this discussion sent me "googling" because I wanted to know what Traditional Doom was. I read that it goes back to Black Sabbath, etc.....which makes sense to me.

I would have to put myself in that Traditional category, too. Although I would like to hear more from DKW about Epic Doom.......This seems to be something I would like.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have this one now, I'll play it tomorrow and get a true feel for the band.

gates_edited-1.jpg

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
^^I have always associated "doom" with the above terms. I have tried to listen to funeral / death doom, but could never seem to get into the music.

I guess you have to acquire a taste for it.

Traditional Doom and Epic Doom are quite different then funeral or death doom,
both of which are two completely different sub-genres. I do enjoy Death Doom which is just Doomy Death metal really but Funeral Doom is definitely not high on my musical priority list.

Death Doom is as different from Traditional Doom as Death Metal is from Traditional Metal. All the sub genres of Doom are as different from each other as any of the other sub-genres and to classify all doom as one sound is very off base.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Traditional Doom and Epic Doom are quite different then funeral or death doom,
both of which are two completely different sub-genres. I do enjoy Death Doom which is just Doomy Death metal really but Funeral Doom is definitely not high on my musical priority list.

Death Doom is as different from Traditional Doom as Death Metal is from Traditional Metal. All the sub genres of Doom are as different from each other as any of the other sub-genres and to classify all doom as one sound is very off base.

I am realizing how different all the genre's are, DKW. Once you have begun delving into the genre, you do see huge differences. I already know I have no liking for funeral doom or for any blackened death/doom metal. But I do have an interest in Traditional Doom and possibly some of the more melodic Death Doom.....

I am learning, my friend :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online