The Chicks (AKA The Dixie Chicks) (Official Thread)

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Was it the right thing to do for their music careers...definitely not but they had already set the bar very high among all female country/rock artists anyway before anyone came along to bully them and tear them down for expressing their beliefs that are protected under the American Constitution.

In the short term, no.

But I think in the long term, it will be good for their legacy. Said it best yourself below.

the Dixie Chicks will stand among the few who had the courage to say what they believed, unlike many others cowering behind expediency.

At one time, I used to devour any information I could get my hands on concerning the radio business. What did I learn?

Country radio has always been a little screwed up anyway. You're more likely to hear songs from a guy who sings about all the chicks who think he looks sexy on a lawn tractor (Kenny Chesney) than you are to hear music from a strong, independent woman or a free-thinking man for that matter.

Anyone with a passing interest in Johnny Cash's career from say the late 1980's up until his death will probably recollect how most country radio outlets turned their back on him later in his career. This resulted in him recording for an unlikely label and working with some unlikely folks like Rick Rubin and Trent Reznor.

The article linked above the picture says all you need to know about country radio and I like to think it gives some insight into the Dixie Chicks matter years later. It also notes people like Willie Nelson and George Jones going through similar dry spells on radio.

Johnny Cash’s Famous Middle Finger

billboardad.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I remember that Aero, and Johnny had Huge political clout back in the day. He represented a lot of people's viewpoints on important issues of the day.

Another reason I respect the hell out of the man in Black.:bow:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
^^I remember that Aero, and Johnny had Huge political clout back in the day. He represented a lot of people's viewpoints on important issues of the day.

Another reason I respect the hell out of the man in Black.:bow:

Love him!

The Johnny Cash example is the main reason why I tend to minimalize the blacklisting of the Dixie Chicks on country radio.

It may have taken awhile but sooner or later, you would have seen a lot of country radio stations stop playing their new records, even if they were keeping their mouths shut.

After all, how many country artists from the 70's, 80's or 90's who are still active are still getting their new music played on country radio today? A handful at best.

A guy like Hank Williams Jr. is still plugging away and apparently can't buy his way onto country radio when he releases a new record, which he still does every couple of years.

Hell, Hank Jr. probably wouldn't even get mentioned on the average country radio station if he walked into an IHOP stark naked, shot all of the employees on the second-shift and then shot himself.

So for me, the problems the Dixie Chicks had concerning radio play aren't a very big deal. Not in my opinion.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I never liked them until they added a rock flavor to their music with their Rick Rubin produced album, "Taking The Long Way" home which is the one album Iown from them. "Not Ready To Make Nice" is an awesome song! :grinthumb Plus, I was very entertained amd intrigued by the movie Magic posted! :cheers2

I like this song from that album as well:

Easy Silence

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Not sure if it was so much what they said but who they said it in front of. I think most people took serious issue with the president (whatever people thought of him) being criticized in front of an international audience. I know our current president has been in hot water over things he's said in Europe. You also have to take into consideration that this wasn't too long after 9/11, and there was a sense of fellowship amongst Americans. I think that was more so the issue there. But I won't open up that can of worms any further. :grinthumb

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned this one. You can definitely detect the Chicks' bluegrass influences in this one. Home is such an incredible album. I has lost it when I moved but I found it today at Barnes and Noble for $7.99! :grinthumb

Long Time Gone

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
From their album Home. I love this one. Some good finger pickin' too. :grinthumb

White Trash Wedding

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
The Chicks and Stevie back in 2002. Their version is one of my favorite covers ever of this song and rivals the original, at least in my opinion. Here's a good live version of them coming together. Stevie is a bit drowned out by Natalie's massive voice at parts but has her moments to shine here. :)

Landslide

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
The Dixie Chicks' run was effectively over when Natalie said what she said. They released another cd, and it was ok. I don't know well it sold, though.

I know Martie & Emily formed their own band called The Courtyard Hounds. That's when I knew for sure it was over. Natalie is poison to them now, and they distanced themselves from her. They relleased a cd. I didn't buy it, but I heard 7-8 songs from it. Not bad, but nothing really impressive. They didn't take any chances and played well within their safe zone.

Then Natalie shaved her head a while back. Sure fire sign of the freefall from grace.

The bell tolls.

It's really a shame, because those girls are very talented. One comment derailed a really promising career.

There's such a double standard, though. Barbara Streisand had a George W. impersonator in her act, acting like an inept buffoon and no-one said a word about that.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
There's no doubt that they were widely shunned by their country peers after that Vehicle. I never understood the outrage myself as it seemed sort of hypocritical of their peers to be so outraged when at the same time you have the likes of Toby Keith championing the liberties of American living in his music. But Chicks aren't allowed to practice their right to free speech without the ensuing outrage. :rolleyes:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online