The Canterbury Scene Family Tree

Sean Hunt

Guitar is my gospel, I preach with my picking hand
Reaction score
Anyone here a fan of bands like Soft Machine and Caravan?

Of course both bands started releasing albums in 1968 that later became known as the first albums in what we call The Canterbury Scene.

What are your favorite bands from the Canterbury Scene? I like some of the hidden gems like Quiet Sun and Khan, but I also love the whimsical Kevin Ayers.

I'm really curious as to how many people here know about the Canterbury Scene. Please join the conversation and tell me about your experiences with this "Sub-Genre."

Here is a video about the band that gave birth to Soft Machine and Caravan and also included Kevin Ayers, The Wilde Flowers.
How the wild flowers started

Romulus

Reaction score
I just want to thank you for introducing me to the Canterbury Scene, I ended up watching a live performance by Opeth in Paris on youtube. Not sure if they are connected to a group called The Wilde flowers?

Sean Hunt

Reaction score
You're welcome! Thank you for watching! I think it's really interesting!

So I have another video about a 70's progressive folk band called Comus that was so dark they didn't find success but Swedish progressive death metal band, Opeth took inspiration from them and YouTube must associate my channel with Opeth or something. Haha

The bands that associate closest with The Wilde Flowers are Soft Machine, Caravan, Kevin Ayers, Matching Mole, Hatfield and the North, Camel to an extent. It is a big and complicated list and sometimes I think it is questionable about whether or not a band is in the canterbury scene, and other musicians that were a part of it have gone on to say they don't like that classification. Haha. But though there is a lot of variety in the Canterbury sound, there are times where I'll be listening to a band and I'll think that it sounds like Canterbury, look it up, and find a "Canterbury" subgenre whether or not the band was technically involved with the "Scene."

It's an odd combo of psychedelia, jazz, prog rock change ups, and jammy sections that may have horns or emphasis on keyboard solos. Though some bands focus on guitar, and bands like Soft Machine didn't even have guitar at times. There's a lot to it.

Sean Hunt

Reaction score
Both are so excellent! I'm enjoying being on this Canterbury kick right now!:D

Cybernetic_sauce

Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned my 2nd favourite Canterbury scene band.
National health
My favourite band is Caravan.
I have liked the Canterbury scene ever since I first heard them all on radio Caroline in the early seventies.

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Anyone here a fan of bands like Soft Machine and Caravan?

Of course both bands started releasing albums in 1968 that later became known as the first albums in what we call The Canterbury Scene.

What are your favorite bands from the Canterbury Scene? I like some of the hidden gems like Quiet Sun and Khan, but I also love the whimsical Kevin Ayers.

I'm really curious as to how many people here know about the Canterbury Scene. Please join the conversation and tell me about your experiences with this "Sub-Genre."

Here is a video about the band that gave birth to Soft Machine and Caravan and also included Kevin Ayers, The Wilde Flowers.

Nice one. Will check out your vid in a sec. Took a look at Soft Machine via Pink Floyd and the UFO club. So am interested in what you have to say on your vid

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online