The Art of the EP

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Many up and coming bands here produce their music on EPs. I have a whole bunch of them. My latest EP purchase was Vance Joy's 'God Loves You When You're Dancing' :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The EP...I don't own many myself, even on CD's reissued with almost 30 minutes of 'added content' I rarely bother listening to the bonus material.

Songs that didn't make it to the record for whatever reason and are eventually thrown together and shoved out as "B-sides/rarities" can sometimes be good, I prefer them in that format than bundled with another record.

I have noticed since the 70 minute CD revolutionized the business that bands release more EP's and live albums than ever before by a wide margin. Obviously to keep their fans happy and let them know they are alive and kicking. It does appear to me that the creativity of bands hasn't really changed, except instead of a new album/CD every 12 months it's more like 2 years. So while some might complain about 'filler' it's not much different from the days of a 40 minute album except you wait 2 years and get a double album.

I am so used to a 40+ minute 2 sided album that even now a full length CD feels kind of strange I always have the urge after 40 minutes to get up and change it...old habits die hard I'm afraid.:D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Queensryche debut EP is a real gem too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^An EP that's over 60 minutes Riff....:heheh: Or is that with commentary etc?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that is including all the ridiculous bonus live tracks. lol

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
A full music CD is just short of an old vinyl or cassette album. A number of modern albums sound as if they should have been say 50 minutes at the most, but have been padded and stretched to fill the disc. Therefore, they have been drawn out from a good single album to almost a double.

Some bands decided not to record CDs of new material, because they felt compelled to fill the 74 minutes, but admitted they were unable. Instead, they toured and released accompanying live albums of reinterpreted old material. It's a shame really, because I would rather have forty minutes of strong new tracks. These bands could not release shortened CDs (what is now an EP), because the record companies would not support or promote them.

There are exceptions like DT and Transatlantic, who release triple CDs, and I love them for it, because they are not afraid to expand ideas. DT's EPs are practically albums.

EP originally stood for extended play and meant extra tracks on a seven inch vinyl single (usually two on the b-side instead of one short throwaway piece). 12" singles became fashionable in the late seventies, because the quality was good and there was more scope for extra tracks. CDs have disrupted this because the physical size remains the same.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I love EPs! It's usually a perfect balance of songs. On an album things artist can really create albums that are so bloated and releasing EPs is a great way to release great material in between albums that are likely better off in a less rigid structure. I love when there are some great songs that would be otherwise B-sides clustered together on an EP as well as a cover or two. EPs also tend to be where a lot of new bands release there material to get noticed and a lot of times their best in order to get steam for an actual album release. This collection from the Pumpkins is formed to make up some of their best work and it's essentially a boxed set of EPs :bow::

13326_lg.jpg

Some of the greatest EPs in my opinion are as follows:

51axd4J0s1L._SY300_.jpg
4110833.jpg

MUDD4310.jpg
straylightrun-preparetobewrong.jpg

And the Pumkins box set is an essential purchase:grinthumb

Aero

Reaction score
The Chameleons - Tony Fletcher Walked On Water

AllMusic wrote, "the sheer sense of what might have been from this four-song release amazes".

tfwow_front.jpg

PHP:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.