The 70s Soul/Funk/R&B Thread

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Totally agree with you on AXIOM FUNK. I must say that many of the bands posted as funky bands are in reality only disco bands.....disco has NOTHING to do with funky music :):)

Maybe disco doesn't have anything to do with funk but disco can be R&B at times as well as soulful. The thread is titled 70s Soul/Funk/R&B.:)

For example, George McCrae'***** Rock Your Baby is/was considered a disco song when it was released. Listen to the vocals, it he's not soulful on this song, I'll eat my hat.:D There were actually some disco songs that were good. I would never have admitted that in the 70s but I can now.

Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Just recently I've seen that UMG took Axiom Funks if 6 Was 9 off you tube..
STOP THE MADNESS!!!! :banghead:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Maybe disco doesn't have anything to do with funk but disco can be R&B at times as well as soulful. The thread is titled 70s Soul/Funk/R&B.:)

For example, George McCrae'***** Rock Your Baby is/was considered a disco song when it was released. Listen to the vocals, it he's not soulful on this song, I'll eat my hat.:D There were actually some disco songs that were good. I would never have admitted that in the 70s but I can now.

Back in the 70's most dancing type music was called "SOUL MUSIC".. I think Disco was the first term to change the genre of soul music to another name.. I'm not quite certain about this but the genre Rhythm and Blues (R&B) came right after that.. Then MTV came along and started screwing up music genre's all together..:rolleyes:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
You guys really need a lesson in what is true Disco..:lmao:

Disco is that same heartbeat with alot of strings and loads of clapping..
Like these songs

Now those are true disco songs.. :lmao:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Back in the 70's most dancing type music was called "SOUL MUSIC".. I think Disco was the first term to change the genre of soul music to another name.. I'm not quite certain about this but the genre Rhythm and Blues (R&B) came right after that.. Then MTV came along and started screwing up music genre's all together..:rolleyes:

No, actually the R&B genre was started long before either Soul or Disco. Billboard started listing R&B songs as a seperate chart category in 1942. Largely as means to keep "black" music segregated from "white" music. Soul, Funk, and Disco are just various styles of R&B.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
And now back to some videos:

Earth, Wind, & Fire, an R&B/funk band :D from Chicago had massive success in the 70s. A few of my favorites from them:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like Earth Wind and Fire a lot, I should pick up a few more of their albums one of these days...:think:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Finally getting back to this thread. It's time. I've put him off long enough. So without further ado, the man responsible for alot of babies being born in the 70s.....BARRY WHITE!

Barry as conducter:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
And no 70s Soul/Funk/R&B thread would be complete without some Stevie Wonder:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online