The 2012 UK Festivals Thread

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
So I thought I would try and contribute a bit more to the forum. I realise that a lot of you good people live in the States or elsewhere and so this thread may be utterly pointless in the long run as the numbers on here that might attend are likely to be very small, but the UK has a very rich festival circuit, and some legendary names that put on festivals every year. Who knows, someone may be inspired one day to take a trip to our little Island and see some of these shows.

Anyway, I'll begin tonight with [In my opinion at least] one of the true heavy weights of the UK Festival season. The Download Festival hosted at the legendary Castle Donington race circuit in the East Midlands.

This is the site of legendary Monsters of Rock Festival that took place most years between 1980 - 1996. Originally the show was inside the race circuit - AC/DC fans will know from the Donington 91 DVD. Work began on the site to host the British Formula One grand prix a few years back, but there were problems and so the 'in field' where the MOR shows were held is no longer used and a massive area off to the side of it now is home to the festival. It's a much larger area now.

There is due to be an announcement this week with another 22 bands, but for the moment anyway, this is the line-up:

poster-no-header1.jpg

If the image is too large, a link to the image not approved or anything like that please tell me!

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Great line up, there are some great bands on, Sox and I will be going with some friends and I look forward to seeing some really great music, can't wait for the other bands to be announced:)

Last edited:

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
The only band I would like to see at Download is... Megadeth. Since Ward left there is actually no point seeing Black Sabbath to be honest.

Black Veil Bride? I mean... are they (festival organisers) serious? O__o

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
The only band I would like to see at Download is... Megadeth. Since Ward left there is actually no point seeing Black Sabbath to be honest.

Black Veil Bride? I mean... are they (festival organisers) serious? O__o

IMO Sabbath will be awesome, some people have never seen them with Ozzy, and with Iommi being ill it may be the last time for them to play together and for people to see them live together. If Bill Ward does not play with them it will be a shame as he will be missed but it won't be the be all and end all.

I for one can't wait to see sabbath again and they will blow a lot of bands away, they have still got it:bow:

Last edited:

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Have you been before Sweaty? Plus I take it your going for the weekend? If so are you camping?

I'm going for the day on the Sunday to see Sabbath, Megadeth and Anthrax. Will be my 3rd Download Festival, camped all weekend in 2005 [Sabbath!] and 2010 [AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine and Aerosmith!].

I've heard the name Black Veil Brides and seen that they wear a shitload of make up, other than that I know nothing about them.

Sabbath were AMAZING in 2005, couldn't pass up the opportunity to see them again.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Glastonbury is normally the only festival that interests me, but I have to say that as Glasto is taking a break this summer, the 2012 Isle of Wight Festival looks incredibly mouthwatering, with probably 3 of my Top 10 artists ever headlining. Not that I will be going... I think you reach a certain stage in life - which I am now way past - when there's no band/singer that ever existed who could make living in a field for 3 or 4 days knee deep in mud and other people's garbage seem any more appealing, but this looks quite tasty....

Isle of Wight Festival 2012

Syd

Reaction score
I want to see what's up with The Stone Roses. I really wish I would be there to see them live. I doubt they ever come to Chile jaja :(

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I want to see what's up with The Stone Roses. I really wish I would be there to see them live. I doubt they ever come to Chile jaja :(

Actually Syd they are headlining both 'T in the Park' and the 'V Festival' this summer, neither of which I know is any nearer to Chile, so sorry about that, but anyway!....

V Festival Line Up

T in the Park

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Glastonbury is normally the only festival that interests me, but I have to say that as Glasto is taking a break this summer, the 2012 Isle of Wight Festival looks incredibly mouthwatering, with probably 3 of my Top 10 artists ever headlining. Not that I will be going... I think you reach a certain stage in life - which I am now way past - when there's no band/singer that ever existed who could make living in a field for 3 or 4 days knee deep in mud and other people's garbage seem any more appealing, but this looks quite tasty....

Isle of Wight Festival 2012

A lot of festivals do hotel packages, though as I'm sure you're aware, those are even more expensive than the already sky high prices that festivals cost.

Generally I've been quite lucky with the weather at the festivals I've been too, only Download Festival in 2010 the day Aerosmith headlined have I ever questioned if it was worth it. The third song that night was Mama Kin so the answer of of course a resounding HELL YEAH.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Have you been before Sweaty? Plus I take it your going for the weekend? If so are you camping?

I'm going for the day on the Sunday to see Sabbath, Megadeth and Anthrax. Will be my 3rd Download Festival, camped all weekend in 2005 [Sabbath!] and 2010 [AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine and Aerosmith!].

I've heard the name Black Veil Brides and seen that they wear a shitload of make up, other than that I know nothing about them.

Sabbath were AMAZING in 2005, couldn't pass up the opportunity to see them again.

I have been for the weekend loads of times, sometimes I just go for a day or two, we don't camp anymore as my partners brother lives nearby so we stay at his house:) I am going for the weekend this year , may just nip in on Friday to see Slash but then I'll be in the pub where the ale is cheaper:)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Staff online