Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders - Self Titled (2006)

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
hawkins.jpg

I'm going to review this album while I'm listening to it for the first time.

1. Louise - What a start, with a great drum beat and catchy vocals all the way through, it instantly makes me reminisce of one of my favourite bands, Powderfinger. 4/5

2. Walking Away - With another sporting drumbeat and this time a toned down guitar riff, it's definitely shaping up to be a good, almost Australian sounding rock album. 4/5

3. Running In Place - With an acoustic intro, this song is starting slowly and strangely no drums until 1:20, considering the main member is a drummer. A sudden change, and were back in rock territory with another guitar riff, but this time seperated by vocal harmonies. This theme carries through the rest of the song, before a bass and backing vocals heavy finale. 4/5

4. NOA - A 55 second jam, not much else to say really, it doesn't even lead to the next song, it just goes nowhere. 1/5

5. It's OK Now - Starts off sounding like generic modern rock, but there's an instrument in the background I can't pick that makes it better, along with Taylor's voice. And now it's speeding up, building up to the first guitar solo of the record. And a distorted and spacey one it is, fine work. I definitely like the verses more then the chorus on this track! 3.5/5

6. End Of The Line - Slower than the previous tracks, with an acoustic guitar. Good musicianship so far, Taylor is writing songs that fit his style and voice perfectly, nothing seems out of place so far. Again the drums are delayed, but it works. Already one of the best tracks so far! 4.5/5

7. You Drive Me Insane... - Blast off! Big riff and even bigger vocals, and awesome lyrics. Awesome so far. Another distorted guitar riff, very easy to listen to rock n' roll, I'm really enjoying this! 4/5

8. Wasted Energy - And we've taken a trip down south, starting with a dobro and a soft, relaxed tempo. However, we hit the chorus and it's solid rock, where we picked up from the previous track. It's a pity only half the song is in this style. 3.5/5

9. Get Up I Want To Get Down - Startling contrast to the previous song, now were traveling at 100 m/ph with quick riffs and repeptitive lyrics. If the songs were emotions, this one would be anger. It's definitely harder, but I was quite enjoying the soft side. 3/5

10. Pitiful - Instantly reminds me of a Sarah Blasko intro, acoustic guitar with a strange sound. This sound continues all through the song, judging by Taylor's voice this appears to be a more emotional song the others. 4/5

11. Better You Than Me - This time, an acoustic and synthesizer intro. The drums come in and so does more distorted guitar. Back to rock n' roll, although a bit slower paced. 3.5/5

Secret Track - A little acoustic number, under a minute long, simple and enjoyable.

Unexpectedly good album, I grabbed it only because of Taylor's effort in the Foo Fighters song 'Cold Day In The Sun' and now I'm glad I did!

Overall rating: 4/5

EXTRAS

Youtube video and lyrics for End Of The Line:

If you're my friend
Stay right by my side
Show me something good at the end of the line

If you're the one
Look into my eyes

I've been walking over
The bridges that burn
You keep talking
But you don't say a word

If you're my friend
Stay right by my side

I've been walking over
The bridges that burn
You keep talking
But you ain't said a word

I don't want to see with someone else
I don't want to see you alone
Did you heart deceive you
Did you open up, just to let me go

In the end
Will your star still shine

When darkness ends
Will you be my light

I've been walking over
The bridges that burn
You keep talking
But you don't say a word

If you're my friend
Stay right by my side
End of the line

Youtube video and lyrics to You Drive Me Insane...:

You drive me insane
But I like it
I like it like that

I Don't need a sign
'Cause I see it
When I look into your eyes

I can't explain
But it feels good
Feels good to me

You drive me insane
But I like it
I like it like that

This don't mean nothin'
Why does it tear you apart
This don't mean nothin'
Why is it breaking your heart

Don't let the lies
Sometimes
Leave it alone
Don't ask me why
'Cause there's no way
No way to describe

You drive me insane

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders

Nice review Sal.:tup:

Sounds like an album I would enjoy...I'll put it on my list so I don't forget about it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online