Switchfoot (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Switchfoot Thread

Listened to two Switchfoot albums tonight. Been on a kick with them since anticipating the new album. I've been digging this track a lot lately. :grinthumb

The Sound (John M. Perkins' Blues)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Vice Verses
tumblr_lmrbp5t93I1qhk6cdo1_500.jpg

I finally got this and I've got the Deluxe Edition which actually warrants the title for once. It has the whole last album (my favorite album so far unless this one supercedes it in time) live! I can't wait to check that out but for the actual album I'm loving it! :grinthumb It actually reminds me a lot of Third Eye Blinds style and structure but that's a great thing as 3EB are masters of these kind of hooks and melodies. Lead singer Jon Foreman is really a better vocalist than Stephen Jenkins so don't worry, his voice still soars. It's just a perfect blend of influence, brilliant inspirational lyricism (religious or not), masterful hooks, melodies and one more great album by a band that's growing to never make a meh song. Here are some of my favorites:

Restless
(the verses and melody could have been pulled from the 3EB debut but Jon Foreman brings an uplifting element lyrically and in the chorus that 3EB never had IMO and he takes it further than Stephen could vocally as well)

Thrive
(How can one not bounce to this, great lyrics specifically where my head is at right now)

Rise Above It
(one of the harder edged pop, great rock song)

And the album ends with two great ballads. I don't know which I like better. Vice Verses is my favorite track lyrically on the album. It also sums up my thoughts about God and life specifically. Life is about sinking and falling and being thankful that you get pulled up out of the water before drowning and enjoying those good moments in between. Beautiful song with simple soft acoustics and simple, humble vocals. The second ballad is a more full sounding song! Again the 3EB style vocal but is always the perfect formula for a pop rock closer. A layered song that builds into sort of a climax that made the listener think they ended there journey at a high point. This is a couple of my friends favorite track. I love it but I haven't picked my favorite yet! :) Here they are:

Vice Verses/Where I Belong

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I'm really digging Dark Horses! Heard it for the first time yesterday and I know you already posted it Sooty. Very rockin' song! A lot different from some of their other stuff and their lovey dovey ballads.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm really digging Dark Horses! Heard it for the first time yesterday and I know you already posted it Sooty. Very rockin' song! A lot different from some of their other stuff and their lovey dovey ballads.

You must get the album. My friend and I listen to it more than anything else pretty much in the last month or so. :cheers2

Tucking Fypo

Australian rocker
Reaction score
They are an incredibly good band!

I'm currently listening to Dark Horses and loving it.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
New Album coming Jan 14, 2014

Fading West

FadingWest-Switchfoot.jpg

1. "Love Alone Is Worth the Fight" 4:35
2. "Who We Are" 3:25
3. "When We Come Alive" 3:36
4. "Say It Like You Mean It" 3:53