Suggestion regarding spam

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I was perusing another forum recently and noticed they had a rule whereby new members are required to post comments for three months before they can contribute links. There is flexibility depending on the types of post and links, but having the rule in place does seem to limit the amount of spam. Therefore, can I suggest such a rule for CRF?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Suggestion noted.

I think 3 months is a bit harsh, but maybe a certain post count is a better idea. :)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
They have post counts too, but I cannot remember (without checking) how they are resolved with the time limit.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not sure what would be apropriate. Maybe 20 posts. Most spammers wont make that many posts just to spam their links.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
20/30 Posts seems fair, also put a lock on PM's except to the mod's/admin's, after 20 posts then they can send them to regular members.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good Morning, LG. A lockout of the PM's / visitor messages sounds fair, too.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Have you been getting a lot of spammers? Or any even? This sounds to me like an over-reaction to something that isn't even a small problem. Personally I think the best way you can discourage and stop new music fans from joining here, and getting them involved, is to start putting obstacles in their way on day 1, and treating all newbies like 2nd class citizens who have to go through some sort of trial period before they even have access to everything that the rest of us do. The easiest way to prevent spammers is to ban their asses as soon as they spam, and delete their crap, which would take about 60 seconds in total. There's like 20 mods and admins on here who could deal with this issue, why go down the road of.... "Hi, welcome to CRF, have fun, and oh, by the way, in case you are a spammer, you can't PM anybody until you have posted 20 times". I think that sends a terrible message, it's hostile and unwelcoming, and suspicious and untrusting of people, 99.9% of whom won't be spammers.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^There is always spam, most of the time the crew manages to catch it early so they aren't around long enough to do more than a few posts.

Sometimes they are smart, register, log in and start sending PM's to our members when that happens we depend on whoever received a spammer's PM to notify us so we can take care of them.

If we do put some safeguards in place that would just eliminate the fly-by garden variety spammer which makes up the vast majority of that...most useless group of online people.

Also TS we can arrange things so a new arrival can only PM us, just not a regular member and after 20 posts then they have full access to everything.

Finally, although you can't see it we have a MASSIVE list of Spammers we keep track of everyone we've banned.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online