Styx (Official Thread)

Zombeels

Reaction score
Re: Styx

I like Gowan more than Styx. I only like a half dozen songs by Styx and in their later days they really started to suck. If you like Too Much Time On My Hands then you liked their sucky stuff.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thanks Hepcat, I couldn't remember Gowan'***** song until you posted it, Flower...lol...I know you don't like Kim, but I have a soft spot for him, seen him live 3 times at the university theater and he is great in concert.

Zombeels, to me Styx is at the pinnacle from Equinox to Pieces of Eight, Runtfan will have to get me up to speed on the albums in between their debut and Equinox, I really only know the song Lady from that period.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Gowan had a number of radio hits - in Canada anyway. Here's a list of some of the bigger ones:

1985 A Criminal Mind

1985 (You're a) Strange Animal

1987 Moonlight Desires

1990 All the Lovers in the World

1993 When There's Time (For Love)

1994 Dancing on My Own Ground

1994 Soul's Road

1995 Guns and God

1996 The Good Catches Up

1997 Get It While You Can

:****:

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score

I like Styx. It seems a lot of people find them "lame" or "poppy" but I enjoyed their works. Especially "Foolin' Yourself (The Angry Young Man)", song so easily describes me :p

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I never understood that either PF, I take Styx for what they are, just plain fun to listen to.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Here's a novices opinion! Of course I know who Styx is but I've never bought a Styx album. I listened to all the recommendations on here, refreshed myself on "Come Sail Away" and "Lady" and surfed youtube further. I honestly really want to pick up that hits package now! I love the touches of piano in their music and the melodramatic flair in their music. That being said I guess I'm not a fan of progressive elements as well as others because in some songs I thought they should have trimmed the fat. It seems like I would wait a whole song and say well that part was cool but I haven't followed half the song. :) Besides the hits I knew upon further exploration I found I liked:

Crystal Ball

Renegade

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have a compilation CD Bry, it has all the best songs on it for someone like yourself just getting into the band.

I love prog myself, even when some bands take it to extremes.(Yes, ELP are two that spring to mind.:))

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am going to have to jump to Equinox recorded in 1975. This is the 2nd Styx album I bought after The Grand Illusion. While it's not quite in the same league as Illusion, Equinox had some good songs as well. My pick would be Midnight Ride with Suite Madame Blue and Born For Adventure close behind.

Light Up...self explanatory.:D

Styx_-_Equinox-Front-wwwFreeCoversn.jpg

Styx_-_Equinox-Back-wwwFreeCoversne.jpg

If anyone wants to talk about Styx II, The Serpent Is Rising and Man of Miracles then please go ahead, I never owned any of those albums.;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online