Stone Axe

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
This is from their website:

Born in 2007 in Port Orchard, Washington, at the hands of multi-instrumentalist T. Dallas Reed, whose prior outfit Mos Generator was beginning to follow a direction that no longer fit the band, as soon as there was a Stone Axe, there was a purpose, a reason for its being. Seventies rock preservation. Stone Axe was made and continues to flourish solely to honor the forefathers of true heavy rock and roll.
Think of Free, think of Thin Lizzy, the glory days of the power trio. The earliest days of Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Foghat and AC/DC. Reed brings not only these sounds, but the spirit that birthed them, to life with vibrancy that, quite frankly, makes the current crop of “retro” acts with goofy hair and tight pants look silly.
Because it’s not about fashion. It’s not about overanalyzing or trying to follow this or that trend. It’s about the spirit of rock and roll, the spirit of creation. Stone Axe make organically grown, passionately harvested classic rock and roll. You can hear it in Reed’s guitar, or in the swaggering vocals of singer Dru Brinkerhoff. There’s no irony to anything they do, no wink and nudge to say, “Yeah, look at us, but we don’t really mean it.” They do mean it. Every single time.
And in case you’re wondering, “every single time” comes up quite often. In their short tenure together, Stone Axe have banged out two eponymously titled full-lengths and more splits, singles and EPs than you can keep up with, through labels like their own Music Abuse Records, Roadburn Records, Ripple Music, Hydro-Phonic and RxEvolution Recordings. Reed handles the recording himself and is always writing, so don’t expect them to slow down, either.
The drive isn’t to innovate, but to celebrate. When you listen to Stone Axe, you hear parts that call to mind these heroes of rock and you’re happy. It’s okay to smile. That means you get it. Stone Axe aren’t out to reinvent the wheel, they’re out to keep it round in a world that’s decided it would be better squared off.
But they are looking to the future. With the recent addition of drummer Mykey Haslip and bassist Mike Dupont, Stone Axe is more of a complete band now than they’ve ever been, writing together and working on the next installment of the Stone Axe series.
There are many bands who profess to being in it “for the love.” Many fewer actually are, and fewer even still are bands who are born out of that love, who embody it in sound and mission. In fact, Stone Axe might be it, which is exactly why we need them as badly as we do today.
We live in an age where digital manipulation is so extensive most people can barely tell the difference anymore whether or not someone’s voice has been through a processor, and it’s high time someone came along to remind us that the most important element in creativity is the human element. That’s what Stone Axe has to offer, and if you miss out on it, it’ll be your loss.

What a great band, saw them on Sunday and the singer is a right character, a real nice guy with a great voice, this band should do well :)

Chasing Dragons

Ain't Gonna Miss It

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
"Riders of the night" is a TOP track!! STONE AXE .....are a great band and deserve a much bigger audience !! It was a great gig Sweaty and I think with STONE AXE and GROAN [ CRF s Mazzereths band :cheers2 ] we saw something special that night.
STONE AXE as you say are unpretentious pure good old fashioned rock . I like them other tracks you put up aswell.Thin Lizzy overtones....that cant be a bad thing. A few tracks they did live also reminded me of Black Crowes.
I noticed on their tour dates STONE AXE are to play gigs in Germany and Holland.....lets hope this excellent band come back to these shores again pretty soon, love to see them again :grinthumb

Attachments

• SAI.jpeg
    SAI.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 51
  • SAII.jpeg
    SAII.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 51

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Yes Sweaty.......STONE AXE are great guys, ...even the guitarist has a tattoo with the legendary King Crimson "in the court of the crimson king" face design !
It was good to chat to them ..they even talked about SWANS [ the band....not the feathered variety:heheh: ]
I know you were giving the singer some friendly jibes about Bells whisky...:heheh:.which he took well, you dont want to upset the guy before he got on stage ! You can't judge a band in what they drink I said......:heheh::cheers2
Soon as they took stage STONE AXE rocked the place. Im sure our partner in crime Sox would have liked them too...but he was checking out the excellent SAXON in Nottingham

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You two are still excited about your concert last weekend...I might have to check this band out.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I hear you Sweaty, pop seems to go in cycles, and we get the overexposure from the corporations that spend millions promoting the flavor of the month.

I'll definitely put this band on my list.:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online