Steve Harris: Iron Maiden

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Not even close. I think back in 1982 I may have agreed, but as I started playing music myself, the pedestal I may have had Harris on diminished greatly.

Are we strictly talking about 'metal' bassists?

BTW: I love Metallica, but Cliff Burton is extremely overrated. Good bassist? Yes. One of the best of all time, not even close. Cliff's biggest and greatest accomplishment in the music industry was agreeing to join Metallica ONLY if they left LA and moved up to San Francisco, getting them away from what turned into the "LA Rock Scene" of the 1980s. He has very few songwriting credits in Metallica and honestly, was a good bassist, nothing more.

If we are talking about all around bassists, then most likely you'd have to put some jazz or fusion guys at the top of the list. Victor Wooten is a freak. Billy Sheehan and Stu Hamm are both oustanding hard rock bassists. Chris Squier, Geddy Lee, Flea, Les Claypool, John Entwistle, Geezer Butler, James Jamerson, Stanley Clark, Bootsy Collins.... and I'm sure many others that I am just not thinking of here.

So, yeah, Harris is damn good, but best ever? I'd have a hard time giving him that title.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Not even close.

This!

attachment.php

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member