Sparks - Kimono My House (1974)

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
This review in honour of what Sparks fans call "Equator Day", a song including the specifics: 3PM, March the 10th.

Amongst many other glam kings and rock favourites of the mid-70s, Sparks were otherwise globally unknown until their 3rd album release, "Kimono My House". The album reached #4 in the UK, #12 in Germany, and #101 in the States.

Brothers Ron and Russell Mael had nixed their band lineup they'd previously formed in the states and recruited three British talents: Norman "Dinky" Diamond (drums), Adrian Fisher (guitar), and Martin Gordon (bass). Their presence remained relatively quiet until a legendary appearance on British television programme "Top of the Pops".

Russell, the younger of the brothers Mael, would bounce, spin and sachet his way through "This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us", appealing to a lesser intended tender audience of screaming young girls with his boyish good looks, curly dark hair, and trim figure. His older brother, Ron, would soon be remembered for scaring the knickers off of a good many children with his likeliness to Hitler, spooky facial expressions, and comical stoicism behind the keyboard.

sparks-mael-kimono.jpg

Russ (left), and Ron.

"This Town", the album's opener, would reach #2 on the UK singles chart for that year, beaten out only by the Rubettes' "Sugar Baby Love". Ron, who wrote most of the lyrics on the album, had intentions of taking a stab at Western movie cliches with "This Town". Produced (as was the rest of the record) by **** Winwood, it has been said that **** had a bet with Elton John, asking whether he (Elton) thought the song would be a top 5 hit in the UK. Elton said no, and he obviously lost the bet.

Ron said, regarding the way "This Town" was to be sung:

"This Town Ain’t Big Enough For Both of Us” was written in A, and by God it'll be sung in A. I just feel that if you're coming up with most of the music, then you have an idea where it's going to go. And no singer is gonna get in my way.

Ron once also noted that during this time their parents (their mother being born in the UK but raised the brothers in Los Angeles - their father passed away when they were very young, however) were living in the UK. Every Sunday Ron took the bus to Clapham Station; he wrote "This Town" right there at the flat, since there had been a piano to be messed with freely.

(I'm pretty sure that if someone would just wrap Russ up with a great big bow and leave him on my doorstep, I'd be happier than a little girl with a boxful of kittens.)

An alternate line that is usually left out from "This Town" on the album and many popular compilations featuring the track:

Choosing, the girl is choosing - between the man who is you, and the man well-to-do.

My favourite line from the track:

As 20 cannibals grab hold of you, they need their protein just like you do.

Russell's incredible falsetto pipes are to be heard throughout the entirety of "Kimono" as to be discussed later in the review.

"Kimono My House" was released in 1974 on Island Records. Its cover, after some pushing by the brothers, didn't feature the name of the band or the album. They had a theory that the cover itself would say more to the buyer than a name or title of any kind. True? See for yourself:

602498434178.jpg

As if the gunshots, vocal acrobatics, and upbeat tempo of "This Town" isn't enough to get a person all riled up and quite ready to kick some ass, the screaming guitars in the intro to "Amateur Hour" (an ode to teenage sexuality) will ensure that your record isn't going to stop anytime soon.

"Amateur Hour", released as a 7" single (b/w "Lost and Found") reached #7 in the UK, and #12 in Germany. It was the only other song aside from "This Town" that was to be released as a single from "Kimono".

(Pardon me, Russ, but those trousers are FREAKING INCREDIBLE.)

My favourite line from "Amateur Hour":

She can show you what you must do, to be more like people better than you.

"Falling In Love With Myself Again", the third track (and a fine ode to narcissism) tells the story of a man who becomes bored of the girl he's seeing, 'cause he's more interested in himself. The song is performed in a way that is similar to a ballroom dance. Listen here: (audio only)

My favourite lyric from this song:

I bring home the bacon, and eat it myself. Here's to my health. Hope that I am feeling well. I'm burning the candle at both ends - oh well.

And a nice photo of the lovely lads for good measure:

barbecue.jpg

"Here in Heaven" illustrates the dramatics of Romeo and Juliet, from Romeo's point of view after he's killed himself and is brokenhearted that Juliet "broke our little pact" because he's "never coming back". He wonders, aloud:

Do I qualify as dearly departed, or am I that sucker in the sky?

Glittered with Russell's falsetto, that, if any higher, could perhaps be a dog whistle instead, the song is especially bass-heavy and upbeat despite its humourously morbid lyrics.

Concluding Side A of the record is "Thank God It's Not Christmas", another fine display of Russell's exceptional control over his voice, and ultimately should have been a massive hit. Much guitars. Much bass. It's a simply incredible rock gem.

With rather sleazy lyrics only Ron Mael could master (e.g.; "thank god it's not Christmas/where there is only you, and nothing else to do"), in fact. Listen here (audio only):

My favourite line from this naughty little masterpiece:

If this were the Seine, we'd be very suave, but it's just the rain washing down the boulevard.

See the next post for side B of the record.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Re: "Kimono My House" - Sparks (1974)

"Kimono My House" had reportedly borrowed its title from the phonetic similarity to Rosemary Clooney's song "Come On-A My House". Here's side B of this legendary glam masterpiece of 1974.

"Hasta Mañana, Monsieur" was cowritten with Russell, who, it has been said, had originally been more into songwriting than his brother, Ron, in the beginning of their musical career. In this track the protagonist is trying to get in the sack with a foreign girl, but doesn't know what to say to her because he doesn't speak her language, and can't remember what he learned in school for the life of him. However, he's certain they're "the only words I knew for sure".

(Christ, I miss that ridiculously horrid snaggletooth.)

My absolute favourite line of any song is present in this little number:

You mentioned Kant, and I was shocked. So shocked.
Where I come from, none of the girls have such foul tongues!

Ironically, both of the Mael brothers would someday become fluent in French. Though not fluently acquainted, both of them are also familiar with German and Dutch (and I wouldn't be surprised if they were learning Swedish, considering their newest release).

"Talent is an Asset" is a song about young Albert Einstein, or a child much like him, that is mollycoddled to the point of breakdown. Say the parents: "talent is an asset, and little Albert has it". That, and who could pass up a handclap? Seriously.

(Oh golllllllly. *deep sigh*)

The song is often used as a reference point when the brothers Mael discuss their distaste for having acquired so many fans that were teenage girls just screaming over how lovely they were on-stage; they are known to explain that they were writing songs about child prodigies and the girls were just going nuts without paying attention to the artsy side of their music or their clever lyrics.

"Complaints" also showcases the darker side of Ron's songwriting skill. The protagonist is a man who seems to be overwhelmed with all the bitching of people in his life, and simply decides to become completely deaf to them all. After all "nothing in the world is perfect".

Complaints, it's my department. [. . .] just give it back, no questions asked.

My favourite line from this song:

Now she says she is expecting. That's my fault for not protecting her from all the risks of passion. She's complaining. She's old-fashioned. Just give it back, no questions asked.

"In My Family", the other track on "Kimono" to be co-written by younger brother Russell displays sneering lyrics much like the previous track, but glorious falsetto in the chorus. The purpose of this song has never been especially clear to me, but one can assume that it's a fair stab at the funny ways of likelihood among family members, and a protagonist that just wants to be different.

From the biggest branch to the smallest leaf, still you're gonna see similarities.

My favourite line:

Gonna hang myself from my family tree.

Sorry, couldn't find a video that's suitable for the review. However, if you liked the falsetto from this particular track, or the entire album for that matter, "Equator" will simply blow you away. The song is very similar to styles of the 40s, and simply just sounds old-fashioned. Toward the end Russell is serenading the listener in a sort of doo-wop barbershop manner with interjections of "Equator" repeated over and over in a hissing tone; the entire song is sung in an incredibly high pitch.

Infatuated with a girl, the protagonist is willing to go to the ends of the earth - or, the Equator, in this case! After all, she said she'd meet him there. The song features a sax translated through a mellotron, thanks to brilliant Ron.

Surely we set it for 3pm. Surely we said it was March the 10th.

He's nearly there, when he begins to feel quite foolish, suspecting that maybe he's been set up.

You always walked just as slow as you talked, letting me think I could have my way. I wasn't fooled for a second, girl. I knew it was you who controlled our world.

This is where the Sparks fans' term "Equator" day comes from. It ends the record in such a way that the listener, providing they enjoyed the whole thing (though "Equator" gets to be a little too much toward the end), simply wants to turn it over, and do it all again.

"Kimono My House" has been cited by the likes of Kurt Cobain and Morrissey as one of their favourite records. If it's not in your collection or if you're not familiar with Sparks, "Kimono" is a good place to start.

2dtzqs9.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Very well done...this looks and reads great!! Had a good time...and will have to go through the videos, which I started, a little more too!!

:grinthumb

I remember Sparks very very well and with a collection as big as mine I'm sad to say I never really picked up alot on them, though this thread could change all that. :cheers:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

A great review on a highly original band. SPARKS were great fun and deserved the success they had in the 70s/80s....i think "beat the clock" +"no1 song in heaven" were minorhits later on. They have made loads of albums..alas I only own 2 ..Both are classics "kimono my house".and "propaganda"...

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I'm not familiar with Sparks' entire catalog but from what I've heard this is my favorite album by them. :grinthumb

Last edited:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I'm working on it. Tis a work in progress.