Soul and R & B of the 60's

Emrock

Reaction score
Re: Soul music and RnB

Marvin Gaye What's Going On? Let's Get it On

Marvin invented modern R and B with these two albums. When he went to Barry Gordy with the idea for Let's Get it On, he had originally titled it "Sanctified Pussy." Gordy wasn't wild about the title and told Marvin in no uncertain terms that Motown would not be releasing any records titled "Sanctified Pussy." If you listen to the fade out, Marvin is singing, "I want to get sancitfied." The only remainder of the original lyrics.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Yes! Here's a great album by a soul band that's often overlooked when lists of great soul artists are compiled:

3375104394_5f4f79a61e.jpg

:****:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

I'll second Solomon Burke!

113927860.jpg

James Brown, Otis Redding, Ben E. King and Marvin Gaye are some of my other favourites.

:****:

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score

I think Tina Turner hit her peak when she left her loser of a husband and went solo. I'm not sure if what she recorded on her own is "Soul" music but it puts anything her and Ike recorded in the shade as far as I'm concerned.

Her stuff with Ike is MUCH better than her 80's hits. In fact, it's not even close.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Her stuff with Ike is MUCH better than her 80's hits. In fact, it's not even close.

I agree. Say what you will about Ike Turner otherwise, but he was a very well respected rhythm & blues artist by his peers long before he hooked up with Tina.

:drums:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online