Sonny Boy Williamson

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Aleck "Rice" Miller (December 5, 1899 – May 25, 1965) was an African-American blues harmonica player, singer and songwriter. He was also known as Sonny Boy Williamson.

I absolutely love listening to him
:grinthumb

Don’t Let Your Conscience Get You Down

Don’t Start Me Talkin’ ......... Rory Gallagher did a very nice cover of this!

Eyesight To The Blind

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I love this cat! I will post some favorites in a few...I liked his work with the Animals as well..: class stuff! :grinthumb

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I need to preface my addition to this thread by saying that I had never heard of SBW before the early 80's.

I was in high school and on a major 60's kick. I wanted some Animals stuff, and picked up a great album that had mainly covers of old blues standards. It was kind of like my introduction to the blues, via the British Invasion. The Animals backing Sonny Boy Williamson. :omg: A lot of people don't know that SBW also played with the Yardbirds back in the day as well.

Since I first got into him via that vehicle, I will post a couple favorites from that album, then a couple from the earlier days..:cheers2

With The Animals

My Babe (the old Little Walter standard)

Fattening Frogs For Snakes

With The Yarbirds

Pontiac Blues

I Don't Care No More

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Just old school SBW here...he played with great backing players as well.

Guys like Guitar Murphy, Otis Spann, Donald "Duck" Dunn, and Willie Dixon to name a few.

Your Funeral and My Trial

Keep It To Yourself

Got My Mojo Workin' (with Muddy Waters)

Help Me (this is probably my favorite SBW tune of all...incredible harp playing!)

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Glad somebody appreciates SBW :grinthumb

My Scottish grandad listened to SBW's music and my Dad always had it playing too.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Big time Sonny Boy Williamson fan!:grinthumb All the songs posted so far are excellent.

In case nobody has seen this, it's a great way to start with Sonny Boy. 2 CDs packed with his best.

The-Essential-Sonny-Boy-Williamson.jpg

Hilarious stuff here as Sonny Boy and his producer have a disagreement over the name of the song. (strong language)

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Nice rendition Sunny!

Love that clip R. Evans. Thing about these old timers was they never beat around the bush. :cheers2

blues in colour

Reaction score
When I got my first guitar when I was 10 my dad also gave me a tape of Clapton playing the blues, one of the tracks was Take It Easy Baby with Sonny Boy & The Yardbirds. Been hooked on Sonny Boy ever since, so much so our little lads called Sonny!

I've had a go colourising clips of the legendary Sonny Boy that I thought I'd post here. Like always they're not perfect but hopefully it'll shine a new light on these old clips

The legendary Sonny Boy Williamson II live at the American Folk Blues Festival on the 22nd October 1963 filmed for Granada TV in Manchester.

One of the coolest men to ever walk the planet, the legendary Sonny Boy Williamson II filmed on the 29th September, 1963 at Großer Kursaal in Baden-Baden, Germany for Südwestfunk TV as part of the American Folk Blues Festival. Introduction by Memphis Slim.

The amazing Sonny Boy Williamson II backed by Memphis Slim, Matt Murphy & Bill Stepney live in Brussels for the Belgian TV show Jazz Prima in 1963.

The one and only Sonny Boy Williamson II recorded live Sept 1964 and broadcast as part of the series 'Jazz Gehört und Gesehen' by Südwestfunk" (SWF), Baden-Baden.

A rare performance of Sonny recorded live at the Montmartre jazz club Copenhagen Denmark 1964.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0GwiJTa-620
Check out that suit! Sonny Boy Williamson II recorded on the 19th October 1964 at the Manchester Free Trade Hall as part of the American Folk Blues Festival tour in the UK. What a line up this was with Sugar Pie De Santo, Lightnin' Hopkins and Howlin Wolf on the same bill!!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online