Some Van Halen news (kinda)

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
melodicrock.com

VAN HALEN - 2011 STILL THE YEAR FOR A COLD FRONT IN HELL:
Due to the usual lack of information flowing, Van Halen fans went all kinds of crazy this week at the mere sight of a tweet from Eddie Trunk regarding Van Halen's progress in the studio. When in reality, it pretty much just confirmed the already stated - that the album talked about since last year will appear later this year.... Van Halen's PR department is once again sadly lacking, but there is always hope I guess!

Producer John Shanks' tweets have been sadly useless. He rarely says anything and when he does it is only cryptic, and looking back, there wasn't anything about his work with VH. Another opportunity missed.

Here's what I can add to the current rumours...
Yes, the album is all but done and it appears mixing is underway, but once again, my source (who has been with me all through this) is sticking with the story that the majority of the album was recorded in 2010 with producer Ross Hogarth. John Shanks was called in to help David Lee Roth arrange and record the vocals and put the whole thing together.
I'm told that Eddie has played most of the bass parts, but will likely not be credited on the album for that.
My source also tells me that one of his contacts heard one track with the working title of Lift. It was described as having "a Van Hagar flavor to it" and that "Dave's vocals were done in a very low baritone key."
Lastly, I heard from a venue in Europe that they were offered a mid-year date for a Van Halen with Ozzy Osbourne tour package. I can't confirm that in any way, but take it as yet another rumour to consider.
That's all until next time...

van_halen-band.jpg

Balance

Reaction score
Great find 70's guy!

Nothing against Wolfie, but wished Michael Anthony was back in the fold. :(

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Great find 70's guy!

Nothing against Wolfie, but wished Michael Anthony was back in the fold. :(
Yeah, you and probably just about everyone else in the world.

Anthony is hardly the greatest bassist in the history of rock, but his personality was perfect for what VH was for a good 15 years or so, and his backing vocals were better than perfect for all of their music. I think his vocals are missed more than anything. I wish they'd have a real reunion with him included, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, if ever.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
That brat doesn't fit in and I'm sure Dave doesn't mind having his picture taken but I have a feeling he doesn't dig Eddie's kid being in the band. No matter what he says "on the record."

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
That brat doesn't fit in and I'm sure Dave doesn't mind having his picture taken but I have a feeling he doesn't dig Eddie's kid being in the band. No matter what he says "on the record."

I've wondered if Wolfgang being part of the band had anything to do with Eddie maybe/perhaps making a last ditch attempt to save his marriage to Valerie.. sort of a "hey, look, I'm doing something with our kid" thing. I could be way off though. *shrug*

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I've wondered if Wolfgang being part of the band had anything to do with Eddie maybe/perhaps making a last ditch attempt to save his marriage to Valerie.. sort of a "hey, look, I'm doing something with our kid" thing. I could be way off though. *shrug*

Ha ha, for saving his marriage I think it would have been easier logistically (but not mentally or physically) to just lay off of the booze and smokes.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freya40

Members online