Soft Heap (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Soft Heap were a Canterbury scene supergroup from the Canterbury scene, founded in January 1978. The name "Soft" references Soft Machine while "Heap" comes from the first letters of the band's founders: Hugh Hopper (bass), Elton Dean (saxophone), Alan Gowen (keyboards) and Pip Pyle (drums). Hopper and Dean had worked together in Soft Machine, while Gowen and Pyle had worked together in National Health.

The band went on tour in 1978, but with Pyle busy with National Health, Dave Sheen replaced him and the name was changed to Soft Head.

Rogue Element, a live album from the Soft Head tour, was released in 1978, but the original Soft Heap line-up reconvened in October 1978 to record Soft Heap (released 1979). John Greaves (also from National Health) replaced Hopper in 1979-80, while 1981 saw a new line-up of Dean, Pyle, Greaves and Mark Hewins on guitar following Gowen's death that year.

The new line-up toured intermittently through the 1980s, sometimes with guests. A Veritable Centaur (released 1996) is a live album largely taken from a 1982 French show, with one track from a 1983 BBC Radio 3 performance. Al Dente is a 2008 archival release of a 1978 show.

The three other founding members all died in the 2000s, this is a great shame as they were all great musicians imo:rip:

The band have a progressive Jazz sound and this is evident on their self titled LP. "Soft Heap", great album to get down to:)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: Soft Heap

They have a member link with Gilgamesh I think? Anyway here's a jazzy number from "Al Dente" Sweat.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Compilation that one I think, they do have a member link with Gilgamesh, most of them from Canterbury scene were linked in some way I think, good times :)

joe

Reaction score

Good stuff Sweat. I know of the band but have never heard any material. No question, very Soft Machine sounding. Big fan of Soft, especially thier first four and Bundles where Allan Holdsworth did his best work IMO. Third is a classic. "Moon In June" is hypnotizing.

Of Queues And Cures from National Health is superb. Been a while since I've put it to my ears.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cucukakek89apk

Members online