Smashing Pumpkins (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" (The) Smashing Pumpkins Thread

In reply to Tray73, when he asked for requests I shouted "Drown" and he said, "sounds good to me". The song is from the "Singles" film soundtrack. I love the acoustic stuff from the unplugged sessions, I also adore (lol) the James Iah album.

Dude, you are awesome for digging the James Iha album! :grinthumb I'm including that as part of the package for this thread but it's along ways down the road as I have a long ways to go in the thread! :grinthumb

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I love the Pumpkins, one of my fave bands of all time, I have Billy's album too, not bad at all. I used to buy everything they did, picture discs and box sets and everything. Thanks for the thread Soot and Stars it is amazing, Pissant is one of my fave tracks and Bye June.

Last edited:

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score

I may get a bit of flak from Soot and Stars for this but...overrated. I don't find much appeal in their music, and everyone who is a fan puts them up on a high pedestal. I will admit they have some good songs, but the ones I like are their more "commercial" stuff, like 1979 and Cherub Rock

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I may get a bit of flak from Soot and Stars for this but...overrated. I don't find much appeal in their music, and everyone who is a fan puts them up on a high pedestal. I will admit they have some good songs, but the ones I like are their more "commercial" stuff, like 1979 and Cherub Rock

You have the right to your opinion dude but the fact that their fans put them on a high pedestal says something about the pure connection that fans make with the band. A connection like that doesn't know the word overrated which is a word used by music intellectuals that think there is a measuring stick for art. IMO PinkFreud, while I respect your right to say as much, the most overrated thing in the world is saying a bands overrated! :grinthumb

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^ I will agree with this and back up what you just said Soot. I've always felt that way...whether one person is or isn't into a band...doesn't the fact that an artist who has alot of fans who hold them in high esteem show that they're special to their people or at times to a greater degree all people??

They're doing something right. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

The Smashing Pumpkins Live '89

smashingPumpkins1-350.jpg
The Psycho Tapes Part II

The Psycho Tapes as seen earlier in the thread are simply a collection of the earliest found Pumpkins footage. The sound quality isn't the greatest but it shows the band at it's most carnal and visceral. In this session of songs they are really jamming and Billy shows why he's such an underrated guitar player!

I Am My End
(Ladies and Gentleman! Ghost and Goblins!)

Try To Try
(Just ****ing Try! Nice! :heheh:)

Love (Old)
(Just a catchy jam)

Rhinocerous
(single off of Gish in pre album form)

Venus In Furs
(Seeing this had me look up the original VU song, won't make the comparison here but a pretty good cover IMO)

Spiteface
(an epic six minute jam)

C'mon
(Awesome! Billy just becomes a headbanger at the end of this!)

Bury Me
(nice drums on another Gish classic)

Sun
(funny dancing to this one :heheh:)

Salt
(end of part one)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

(continued....)

0.jpg

I'm Free
(A Who cover)

Razor
(Great chugging rif)

Ball and Chain
(spotlight for the other member, Iha on vocals, prominent drums from Chamberlain, awesome!)

Lie I Lie

The Crystal Ship
(For a fan of both The Doors and especially the Pumpkins this is a real gem)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

I love this band man. Amazing thread.

That being said I will not be listening to them anymore since Chamberlain is gone. He really made a huge part of their sound.

You can replace James and Darcy, but you can not replace a powerful drummer like Jimmy Chamberlain.

Oh and Soot I think I will post this on here just for the hell of it.

(I would rather hang with Nirvana IMO just because they look more fun, but both bands kick major ass)

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online