• Rust in Peace

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Rust Never Sleeps

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Megadeth is coming up short again, they never seem to do well in polls even against non-metal bands.;)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not surprising on a Classic Rock Forum. :tongue:
Megadeth just like any thrash band are probably of an acquired taste really. Thrash, death metal, anything where the music resembles anything punk related is an acquired taste. Like them or not no one can deny the impact Rust in Peace had on metal.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are right about it being an acquired taste, a little thrash goes a long way for me, when done well with variety it's good when I'm in a hell bent for destruction mood...:hb:...but when it's monotonous like a lot of Slayer's stuff I get bored quickly.

I actually like Megadeth more now than I did 5 years ago, Mustaine being an imbecile when he's not holding a guitar notwithstanding.;)

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
It seems on this forum there are those who love classic rock and other (hard) rock bands and those who like classic rock AND the heavier side of rock. The first group have a majority here and that's ok.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^You are right about it being an acquired taste, a little thrash goes a long way for me, when done well with variety it's good when I'm in a hell bent for destruction mood...:hb:...but when it's monotonous like a lot of Slayer's stuff I get bored quickly.

I actually like Megadeth more now than I did 5 years ago, Mustaine being an imbecile when he's not holding a guitar notwithstanding.;)

I personally find Slayer to be the most monotonous thrash band around. Megadeth at least have some variety and took risks with their music. With an album like Rust in Peace it paved the way for metal and led them to experiment more in the 90s.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I personally find Slayer to be the most monotonous thrash band around. Megadeth at least have some variety and took risks with their music. With an album like Rust in Peace it paved the way for metal and led them to experiment more in the 90s.

Indeed I found listening to Slayer I couldn't tell when one song ended and another one started they all sounded the same. Not just the guitars either but the vocals too...I do have their 3 best albums but don't listen to them very often.

I remember old DKW having a fit when I criticized one of his favorite thrash bands months ago...:oyea:...everything was good right up until the vocalist starting screeching, and like Slayer every song sounded the same at least to me.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
I'm like a couple of people above me when it comes to thrash I just couldn't get into it except maybe for metallicas first couple of albums and a little bit of megadeth. Don't get me wrong I loved heavy music like sabbath, priest, maiden, motorhead etc but to me thrash back in the day seemed to be a garage band quality version of speed metal over all imho.

They seemed to have sacrificed too much quality because they were trying to prove how fast and heavy they could get. For example maiden in their pre somewhere in time era was pretty fast and heavy especially for its time but knew where to draw a line when it came to sacrificing quality and as a matter of fact dickenson said in an interview that maiden could get a bit faster or heavier but decided that a quality well thought out product was more important than being just a bit faster or heavier. Most bands don't have the level of musicianship to push that boundery without sacrificing something and I believe bands like metallica wanted to play like maiden or older epic rush but lacked the level of musicianship and while rush for example could make time changes sound seamless metallica ended up sounding choppy.

I've always scratched my head on how metallica became so popular when imho only had 2-3 decent albums max while there were other bands ie armored saint, wasp, and even bands like sacred reich were in a way just as heavy and fast at times depending on the album or song while still sounding pretty professional. In this I voted for megadeth because as I've said they were pretty damn good for a band that was labeled "thrash" and I never like neil young.

Well that's my take on the situation. I do try to have respect for other peoples taste in music though and hope nobody takes anything I've said personal.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online