Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
This album was a grand slam home run for me.
I had grown a bit tired of Rush.
2112 and Farewell to Kings were pretty goofy to me.
I barely noticed Hemispheres.
My favorite of the early stuff is Caress Of Steel.
Permanent Waves seemed to have the first hints of something really great.
Then Moving pictures hit it out of the park.
Rush became a much better band than I ever expected they could be.

Texas King

Reaction score
Absolutely a great album and the Rush's biggest classic, but it's my fourth fave Rush album behind Waves, Hemispheres and Kings.
My fave tracks are YYZ, Limelight and The Camera Eye, least fave is Vital Signs(I like it though).

Frands

Reaction score
The album 'Moving Pictures' was the first Canadian rock music I heard back in the early 80s. I still have it in my collection as a CD. I like it alot and i'll give it 9/10!

jeffnc

Reaction score
The word "masterpiece" has been used in this thread, and I have to agree this album is a bonafide masterpiece. The songwriting and musicianship for Rush reached its pinnacle for this album. Whether or not you actually like a different Rush album more, or any other group more, I think the greatness of this album is undeniable. The only song I don't like listening to as much is Witch Hunt, but even that has a very creepy feel, something like Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain or Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique (Dream of a Witches Sabbath) and I can at least appreciate it if not love listening to it very often. Everything else on here is gold. I especially love The Camera Eye among Rush's lesser known songs.

It's not metal (although some of it is pretty hard), it's not pop (although 3 songs got a ton of mass appeal on Top 40 radio), it's obviously not Reggae (although a couple Rush songs have a Reggae rhythm), it's not electronic (although it has the perfect amount of synthesizers IMO of any Rush album.) It's just Rush, at their finest! Their version of Dark Side of the Moon, an absolute classic.

Old School

Reaction score
This is a great album for sure. My favorites are The Camera Eye, Red Barchetta, and XYZ. All the other tracks are nice and fit well. I would say Limelight is the best of the rest.

Aero

Reaction score
Not only is Vital Signs an underrated song in general, but Peart's drumming is underrated too. His outro part is really addicting and it builds a nice climax to the song.

If I had to order the songs on the album, they'd probably go like this:

Tom Sawyer
Vital Signs
Red Barchetta
Limelight
Witch Hunt
Camera Eye
YYZ

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads