Rough n Gruff Unique Voices

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I ain't lookin' for an argument... I'm wondering if anybody can help me find some more really unique and rough rock n roll singing voices. Bob Dylan is my favorite singer of all-time. I've been listening to The Traveling Willburys a lot lately, and even though I like everyone's voice in the band, it's shown me just how much I appreciate Bob's voice because I enjoy it when he sings five times more than with anyone else. I don't like it just because it's big Bob Dylan, I like it because it's so unique and rough.

Smooth voices can be excellent, don't get me wrong, but for pure aesthetic value I'll enjoy any strange-as-hell voice more than 90% of singers because they interest me less. I'm not looking for just any rough voice per se', since there are a lot of blues singers that have rough voices, and I like that but I don't find it as appealing for some reason (perhaps because having a voice like that is normal in the blues whereas sounding like Bob Dylan isn't normal anywhere).

Help me if you can.... Here are some people I consider to have a virtuously rough voice -

Bob Dylan
Alvin Lee
Mick Jagger
Johnny Cash

Also if you wanna you can just discuss rough rock voices in general.

peace & love :)

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I also suggest Tom Waits. Love his gruff voice.

Mark Lanegan from Screaming Trees kind of sounds like Tom too so give him a try.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
Don't forget Joe Cocker. They don't come any rougher or gruffer. And they don't come with any more genuine passion.
You beat me to Joe...I`ve seen him four times...passion is a good description...soul, as well. Last time I saw JC he opened for SRV...just weeks before the helicopter crash that took SRV away.

Jack

Jack D.

Reaction score
How about female singers.
Annie Lennox. Now thats distinctive.
The Great Janis Joplin
How about Kim Carnes....Betty Davis Eyes

algernon

Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
Don't forget Joe Cocker. They don't come any rougher or gruffer. And they don't come with any more genuine passion.
Good call. when Cocker hits that sweet high note on "You Are So Beautiful" it just blows me away. How many singers could pull that song off? BTW, that record was arranged by Jimmy Webb.

algernon

Reaction score
Real voices are much more interesting to me than trained voices...Johnny Cash, for instance, moves me where Pavoratti leaves me cold.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online