Ronnie James Dio (Official Tribute Thread)

Vintage

Vintage Rocker
Reaction score
Re: Official Ronnie James Dio tribute thread

From Billboard.com

The hard rock community was in a state of mourning as artists rushed to pay tribute to iconic elder statesman Ronnie James Dio, who died on Sunday at the age of 67 from stomach cancer.

Tony Iommi, who worked with Dio in Black Sabbath and its latest incarnation, Heaven and Hell, was among those weighing in, saying in a statement that since hearing the news, "I've been in total shock. I just can't believe he's gone. Ronnie was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, we had some fantastic times together. Ronnie loved what he did, making music and performing on stage. He loved his fans so much. He was a kind man and would put himself out to help others. I can honestly say it's truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years. His music will live on forever. Our thoughts are with Wendy Dio who stood by Ronnie until the end. He loved her very much. The man with the magic voice is a star amongst stars, a true professional. I'll miss you so much my dear friend. RIP."

Heaven and Hell had planned to tour this summer to continue supporting its most recent album. Those dates were canceled, however, as Dio's condition -- which his wife and manager Wendy Dio revealed in November -- worsened. Organizers of Britain's Download festival plan to rename its second stage the Ronnie James Dio Stage in the singer's memory.

At their show Sunday night at Lazerfest near Des Moines, Iowa, Alice Cooper and his band inserted a bit of Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell" into their final song, "Under My Wheel," dedicating it to Dio. Bassist Chuck Garric played with Dio prior to joining Cooper's band, and both Cooper and Garric taped a special segment for the syndicated "Nights With Alice Cooper" radio program talking about their late friend.

"We used to have a lot of fun with Dio on the road," Cooper recalled. "(Drummer) Eric Singer could not help from going 'Holy Diver!' as loud as he could to the point where the manager finally says, 'Could you stop doing that? It's starting to annoy Ronnie.' And of course you don't say that to Eric Singer, because that just means he's going to double the efforts."

Garric added that Dio was "such a genuinely nice guy and welcomed me with open arms. From the moment I walked into the rehearsal rooms to audition, I felt at home...It was one of the greatest moments of my life, and it had changed my life. I owe him everything."

Over at Metallica.com, drummer Lars Ulrich posted a moving "A Letter to Ronnie," crediting Dio as "one of the main reasons I made it into the stage to begin with," saying that he first saw Dio as a member of the band Elf in 1975, opening for Deep Purple. "I was completely blown away by the power in your voice, your presence on stage, your confidence..." He also recalled going to the Plaza Hotel in Copenhagen when Dio came through with Blackmore's Rainbow and being impressed that Dio was "so kind and caring...I was on top of the world, inspired and ready for anything." Ulrich concluded that, "Ronnie, your voice impacted and empowered me, your music inspired and influenced me, and your kindness touched and moved me. Thank you."

Chickenfoot's Michael Anthony told Billboard.com that he used to cover "Man on the Silver Mountain with Van Halen and sharing the stage with Dio at some European festivals. "He was a great guy," Anthony said. "I remember when we opened for them, all of us were back at the hotel having some drinks; it was his birthday, and I remember us all just hanging out, and he was just a great guy, definitely a driving force in hard rock music."

Killswitch Engage, whose 2006 cover of Dio's "Holy Diver" was the group's first Top 20 hit on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart, called it "a very, very sad day in metal, and this one hits pretty hard. Dio was one of the greatest metal singers of all time. His soaring vocal lines even to this day, strike a chord in me that few other singers can come close to. Even in his old age, Dio rocked harder and more on point then 99% of the singers out there. He is truly a musician's musician; a model for the new school to aspire towards. A man who stuck to his guns, and played the type of music HE wanted to play...and extremely well at that!"

Corey Taylor of Slipknot and Stone Sour called Dio "one of the strongest, purist and consistent singers of all time. Ronnie sang like he lived -- all out, from the heart, with so much honesty and joy. He was a great man with a smile and a handshake for fans and peers alike. He spoke his mind and stood his ground for decades. I will miss him dearly."

Deftones' Chino Moreno also told Billboard.com that he admired Dio's longevity through groups such as Elf, Blackmore's Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell and, of course, his own Dio. "I looked at his age and that put it in perspective for me," Moreno said, "like, 'Wow, I would love to be that old and still singing my heart out like that."

Slayer guitarist Kerry King, who listened to "Man on the Silver Mountain" by Blackmore's Rainbow as a teenager, said that being able to meet Dio was one of his treasured memories. "Few people have had the ability to carry a song like Dio, literally demanding your attention as he effortlessly recreated live the amazing things he did on record," King said. "It's odd how things get taken from you quickly...I just saw him a month ago. I know I was lucky to have known Ronnie. One of the nicest guys in the business without a doubt. He will be hugely missed."

Anthrax's Joe Belladonna said that Dio "was a big inspiration, influence and dear friend of mine. He was a true gentleman and a kindhearted individual. He always would go out of his way to make you feel welcome and important. Without a doubt, he was one of the best, top notch and a class act. I will truly miss him." His bandmate, Charlie Benante, saluted Dio as "true metal and the creator of the metal hand Sign...He was Divine."

Funeral and memorial arrangements have not yet been announced for Dio. His official web site still features the note his wife posted Sunday announcing his death.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

Ex-W.A.S.P./FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH Guitarist Pays Tribute To RONNIE JAMES DIO - May 17, 2010
Former W.A.S.P./FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH guitarist Darrell Roberts has posted the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Beginning May 16th 2010 my world will never be the same.

"For me, Dio was just one of those people that seemed like they would be around forever. Flawlessly singing those songs for eternity.

"Although early BLACK SABBATH (with Ozzy) will always be one of my favorite bands, and guitar riffs like 'Into The Void', 'Hole In The Sky' and 'War Pigs' were a HUGE influence on me, I didn't really become obsessed with SABBATH until I heard 'Heaven And Hell'. It was the perfect voice combined with the perfect music to create magic!

"One of my fondest memories was created many years ago when I first moved to Los Angeles. I was staying with a couple friends in North Hollywood that were from my hometown of Cincinnati/Dayton, Ohio. One of my roommates was a huge Dio/SABBATH fan and said she heard that Ronnie hung out at a little pub in the Valley. After a little research, we found the pub and sure enough, there he was sitting at the bar... It was Dio! I was barely old enough to get in, had never really met a 'famous' person and was basically a Dio super-groupie. To my amazement, he was the most down-to-earth, unpretentious, super-cool guy I had ever talked to. We sat for a couple hours drinkin' beers and talking about music, guitar players and life in general. I couldn't believe it! I had just moved to L.A. and I am sitting having beers and talking music with Ronnie James Dio?!!! I thought L.A. was the greatest place on earth...

"Well, it wasn't LA, He was just that special and it's never really happened since then.

"In the last year and a half, since my departure from FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH, I have had a few offers to join bands or someone's project. I half-jokingly said, 'Unless your last name is Dio, Osbourne or Hetfield,' I respectfully decline — LOL! What I meant was that I have always wanted to do my own thing, put my own band together and feel like it's now or never. BUT... if given the chance to work with Dio (on any level) presented itself, I would be there in a split second.

"On more than one occasion, I put packages of my work together and dropped them off at Wendy Dio's place of business... but sadly never got the call.

"I have always imagined walking on a stage, guitar feeding back, and ripping into the 'Mob Rules' riff with Ronnie standing next to me and that ridiculous voice roaring through my monitor...

"Oh, a boy can dream, can't he?

"I guess May 16th, 2010 put an end to that fantasy. But only to a degree. I still have my albums, CDs, videos, memories and imagination.

"Long live the most metal MOTHERF**KER and greatest singer EVER!

"All my love and appreciation to Ronnie James Dio! Thanks, man!"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

TRIVIUM Frontman Says He Received 'Vocal Coaching' From DIO During 2007 Japanese Tour - May 17, 2010
Guitarist/vocalist Matt Heafy of Florida-based metallers TRIVIUM has released the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"TRIVIUM had the privilege of meeting Dio while touring with HEAVEN & HELL in Japan in 2007. We were just happy to be on the shows and didn’t expect to spend any time with any of the guys.

"Every single night of that tour HEAVEN & HELL blew our minds; we were fans in awe of how good they were. They had it all and to watch a group of musicians that deep into their careers so absolutely on top of their game like that was inspiring.

"One night after a show in Nagoya, I was able to pop in real quick to say 'hey' to Dio in his dressing room.

"I've been able to meet many heroes of mine in my life, but few have made impression on me like Ronnie James. He greeted me not as a support bandmember, but he welcomed me as a fellow musician and performer. He gave me a hug, invited a couple of us into his room where we all sat and talked and drank wine together.

"I remember our conversation crystal clear to this day. I told him how I met Bruce Dickinson on his BBC radio show and was asking Bruce about vocals and vocal techniques, and I shared with Dio that Bruce felt that I had started to develop my own vocal style and with work someday would further develop a stylistic similarity to Dio. Dio smiled and chatted about how he knew that Bruce was a fan of his voice, and from there we were able to just relax and talk shop about vocals and singing.

"Although it was a quick visit, Ronnie made me feel at home and was a really sweet dude. He gave us props, we finished our wine, we hugged and said, 'See ya tomorrow.'

"It was amazing that I received vocal coaching from quite possibly the greatest metal voice of all time.

"I am truly grateful for the time he gave me and his personal insight into our shared craft. For that I will always be thankful."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

OZZY OSBOURNE Is 'Very Saddened' By RONNIE JAMES DIO's Death - May 17, 2010
Ozzy Osbourne has expressed his sadness over the death of Ronnie James Dio, the man that replaced him in BLACK SABBATH in 1980.

On Monday (May 17), Osbourne released the following statement:

"I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. Metal has truly lost one of its greatest voices. My heart goes out to his family and to his many fans."

He added: "Love and respect."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth.net

Ex-DIO Bassist JEFF PILSON: I'm Gonna Miss RONNIE In Ways I've Never Missed Anyone Else - May 17, 2010
Bassist Jeff Pilson (DOKKEN, LYNCH/PILSON, WAR AND PEACE, STEEL DRAGON, FOREIGNER), who recorded and toured three studio albums with DIO — "Strange Highways" in 1993, "Angry Machines" in 1996, and most recently, "Master Of The Moon" in 2004, has issued the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Saying a few words about Ronnie Dio is like being asked to describe an epic movie in one sentence. It just so barely even scratches the surface.

"I still can't believe he's gone. And as the reality becomes more apparent, I get sadder and sadder. But then something will happen like getting in my car and 'Stand Up and Shout' will come on the radio and it almost feels like the first time I've heard it. I mean, I've played the song hundreds of times and heard it thousands, but it all suddenly becomes so clear and Ronnie's message comes barreling out of the speakers. The empowerment, the voice that says, 'Yes, you can do it — anyone can.'

"That was Ronnie. The common man who was anything but common. A big voice and an even bigger heart. That was my friend.

"I'm gonna miss him in ways I've never missed anyone else. But thank God, I'll always have his body of work — all that wonderful music — to fall back on. Memories and music.

"I'm so privileged to have known, much less worked, with him. And I honestly believe the world is a better place for all he achieved, for all the joy he brought so many people — myself included.

"Rest in peace, Ron. You truly will never be forgotten!"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbernouth.net

HENRY ROLLINS On RONNIE JAMES DIO: 'What A Voice, What A Loss' - May 17, 2010
Punk rock icon Henry Rollins has posted the following message regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Backstage at the venue [in Brandon, South Dakota during Rollins' spoken-word tour]. Listening to RAINBOW, tonight's walk-in CD is burning away in my laptop. All Dio all night.

"Ronnie James Dio, the great vocalist of ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, DIO and HEAVEN & HELL passed away [Sunday] morning.

"What a loss.

"I have been getting mail all afternoon about it.

"[Saturday night], there was an Internet rumor of his passing and it was great to hear that it wasn't true. I came back from the gym a few hours ago and Angel, our merch man, told me that it was indeed true.

"What a voice, what a loss.

"Dio's passing made me think of my old bandmates in BLACK FLAG as we used to listen to those records quite a bit.

"Damn, at least he left some amazing records behind.

"The metal world is stunned, I am sure.

"Ronnie James Dio, one of the greatest singers ever."

Rocker440

Reaction score

Some classic songs featuring Ronnie James Dio! YOU ROCK!

and one of my very favorite Rainbow w/ Ronnie songs!

Ronnie, you are the Rainbow! :bow:

Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

Am I the only one that gets goosebumps while reading some of these letters?

Nope, you get a real sense of who Ronnie was amongst his friends and peers...total respect and class ...heartbreaking to lose him in such a painful way :(

He brought so much to life..and he leaves us with his fine music..

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.