RIP John Lennon

gguerra

Reaction score
Now with the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's death (12/8/1980) it seems the spotlight will be on him for at least a while. I really admire his songwriting abilities. He wrote and sang with such emotion. Not to take anything away from Paul. It seems he was snubbed out what would of been the peak of his solo career.

Recently saw a very good documentary on PBS
Here is the link

LENNONYC | American Masters | PBS Video

Last edited:

Death on Credit

Reaction score
The Beatles kind of piss me off from time to time...but, I have a real soft spot for Mr Lennon. I think that he could have done a lot of great things had he not been shot down so prematurely. Paul has done a lot of good things, but he often comes across like Bono or PETA...you know, he does some great stuff and backs up all sorts of noble causes, but his way of going about it is so alienating that it's often hard to give him the respect for it that he deserves.

Anyways, enough Paul bashing...Lennon was one of those special ones, he's irreplaceable, and he's sorely missed.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Thirty years already,,,doesn't seem that long to me but time does go by faster as you get older I guess.

GG, I agree that John was taken from us just as he was about to really get serious about his music again. He was on good terms with Paul and everyone else, released his double album which was very well received and seemed ready to become a major player again.

He is sorely missed, and for those people who don't like musicians taking a stand and speaking for what they believe, I am the opposite. I don't have any trouble separating the musician/music from the person and their philosophy and I have more respect for someone who tries to make a difference and use their fame to advance the human race than someone who parties all the time and does nothing but indulge themselves.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
:(
30 years since I last cried (well only time) for a muscian who died.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
A sad day for Beatles fan and music lovers all over the world.

It's a shame, Lennon was taken away, when he was finally happy and had his life together. He wasn't the angry-bitter Lennon of the early-mid 70's.

The very last song John Lennon wrote before his death, you knew Lennon had changed and was a different man, when he sang ''God bless our love, the best is yet to come'' on the song, ''Grow Old With Me''. It seems Lennon finally found the inner peace he was looking for all those years and maybe even at peace with his maker.

From Wikipedia...

"Grow Old With Me" was originally meant for inclusion on the Double Fantasy album. However, Lennon and Ono were working on a tight deadline to get the album finished and released before Christmas, and decided to postpone recording of the song until the following year (1981) for the follow-up album, Milk and Honey. This never happened due to Lennon's murder in December 1980.

Had the song been fully finished and recorded, Lennon and Ono had envisioned it as a "standard, the kind that they would play in church every time a couple gets married, with horns and other arrangements".

A few different home recordings of it were made by Lennon and Ono and one of these versions was released on "Milk and Honey". Recorded in the couple's bedroom with a piano and rhythm box, it was the last recording ever made of the song by Lennon.

Such as beautiful, sweet, tender and touching song...

Love John's vocals, on what pretty much was a demo....

and the last song, John Lennon left us with...

What a wondeful gift...

Thanks John for all the great music, Rest In Peace...

AfXKX.png

John & Yoko, Central Park, New York City, December 1980

Last edited:

the_spore

God Emperor
Reaction score
He has been my idol for many years. And over the years he has influenced me to be a better person. RIP, John. :rip:

My favorite song by John.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
It really is a shame that he left us. I agree with the statements that he was getting his life on track, and could well have produced some of the best music of his career in the 80's.

RIP John Winston Ono Lennon.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
RIP John. Among your vast plethora of accomplishments, you also gave us one of the greatest Christmas songs, lest we forget!

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
One thing I really love about John is that when he wrote love songs, you fell in love with him. I always wished, when I was just a little Lady, that I'd know someone someday who'd write me a song as well as John Lennon could. He took hold of my heart when I was just a kid, and his music has been a part of me since.

He didn't have a necessarily "pretty" singing voice (or so much, compared to, I don't know, ... Paul McCartney) but this is one cover that completely melts my soul every time:

(It's Beatles, but John's on lead vocal, so it counts. In before technicality trolls.)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Staff online

Members online