Punk rock - for and against

Gibraltar

Reaction score
Music writers talk about the punk explosion of the 70s as a reaction against prog rock, glam etc. and a political reaction. I think it was political, not musical. Some talented musicians like Elvis Costello and Sting used the energy of punk to get their music across, but the majority of punk bands had a very short life. Punk certainly didn’t sweep away prog bands like Genesis and Yes, who far outlived them (Genesis became bigger than ever). I think John Lydon was just having a big laugh (he went on to I’m a celebrity and advertising butter). The Sex Pistols take on “My way” is very funny. Overall, punk doesn’t seem to have had much lasting effect.

Reactions: E-Z

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Bollock talk...listen to Some Girls!..Disco and Punk are all over it!
Punk from '76 - '78 was very enegetic and was a logical next move from PubRock.
Some punk sounded like where Hawkwind was going. It's lifespan was short...and as the buckmasters moved in- independent labels got swallowed and Costello and Lydon etc.. and Mr.Ant matured (?) and became commercial i suppose. Even though the movement ..which was fashion driven in it's early conception only lasted some 18 months...here we are talking about it in 2020..like surf punk, New Romantic, Drum & Bass, Garage,pysh and all the other genres it provided much to the smögåsbord of music as a whole.
Peace and pogo..nai x

Saiyan Rocker

The Legendary Super Rocker
Reaction score
Punk produced some good music. The Clash, Patti Smith, etc
Also it might have faded out however, it still inspires some artist even now.
Green Day was inspired by Punk among others.

Also I was listening to the Kinks and one of their songs sounded kinda punkish. Maybe they were trying to start a punk movement before it was time, who knows. It was just another forum of creative music and it was successful to me, anyway.

P.S. I also love Genesis, Yes, and even some disco. The world is big enough for it all as well as my music library. :D

E-Z

Reaction score
The Clash were punk but they played some rockabilly songs and reggae but they didn't play 'conventional' rock as most people would recognise it.

I occasionally play Shame 69 along with The Clash & Stiff Little Fingers the 1st & 2nd albums.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Glen Matlock the original bass player with 'the pistols' before Sid took over 'bass playing duties' ha ha ha... comes across as a 'elder statesman' of 1970s punk these days.

Talking about Sid reminds me in fact that I am 2 months older than Sid if he had lived and hadn't O.D. in NY.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online