Pop Merit Poll #1

Did this song deserve to be a hit?

• Total voters

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
In this series of polls I'm going to take a song that at one point was playing everywhere and like it or not you likely heard it unless you lived under a rock! The purpose of pop is to write something that the masses will like. It's not a self indulgent genre writing wise and I like that. Some songs are well crafted and still universally liked, some are very simple but brilliant in execution and some are just a very fresh way lyrically and sonically to express something to/for the masses they haven't heard before. Oh yeah, and some are just fun and people catch on! Anyway, I'll give you a hit song and you can pick whether it stands out in the world of pop exclusively or not. Feel free to discuss in detail your reasoning whether it be based on originality, beat, instruments used or not used, melody, lyrics, etc.! Peace! :)

Did this song deserve to be a hit?

Song #1-Sugar Ray-Fly

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
:heheh: I voted 'Yes but not a major one'. It's a fun song and good to dance to :grinthumb C'mon, it's got a great beat. It always makes me think of summertime.

Nice thread Soots!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
:heheh: I voted 'Yes but not a major one'. It's a fun song and good to dance to :grinthumb C'mon, it's got a great beat. It always makes me think of summertime.

Nice thread Soots!

Thank you! If I don't get lynched I'll keep this as an ongoing series. I hope it's fun more than anything. I have pretty much the same answer on this one. This has major burnout factor, kind of a week chorus but I like the Reggae feel. I'm not a huge Reggae fan but I like it in small doses and I like the way it flavors a song. The singing on the verse actually stuck in my head more than the chorus which is unusual but I always liked the lyrics and the way they are sung there. It's a good song with a good vibe and beat that deserved to be at the top of the pop charts for a spell but not quite deserving of the rotation it got! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I really enjoy reggae so that's one of the reasons I like Fly.

They do stand out as 311 is one of the only groups that I can think of that adds Reggae to a more alternative rock sound. UB40 came first but they were more adult contemporary from what I've heard. Of course Sugar Ray became reeeaally pure pop after the "Floored" album Fly was one. Sugar Ray was a LOT heavier on their debut. :)

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
I must have been living under a rock then. Have not heard this before. Do I think this deserves to be a hit? Personally NO!! Fluff pop. Nothing to it. Can I see other people liking it, yes I can. I has a happy flavour to it.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I must have been living under a rock then. Have not heard this before. Do I think this deserves to be a hit? Personally NO!! Fluff pop. Nothing to it. Can I see other people liking it, yes I can. I has a happy flavour to it.

Maybe I should have specified everyone heard it in America EF! :D That's my blunder! :heheh:

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
I voted Yes, it's one of the better pop songs I've heard! I've always liked this tune, when it first came out & still do today.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
It's an excellently crafted song and I like it but I can't say it's one of the best songs I've ever heard. From them I prefer Every Morning. Someday is good too. These guys and Smash Mouth really knew how to put together perfectly catchy material without the seriousness that sometimes gets in the way for bands like Nickelback.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Yep, I agree with a lot of the comments above especially the Smash Mouth comparison. This song was big around the time songs like Sex and Candy and One Week and acts like Third Eye Blind were big. It was almost as if these sort of tunes were being mass produced on an assembly line but nonetheless a HUGE part of my adolescence and my friends and I used to have great times with songs like these. My favorite Sugar Ray hit was Someday and yes Every Morning was a helluva catchy song as well.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online