Plan B

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
1103029_BEN_DREW_P.jpg

As the first rapper ever to grace my music collection, you'd think they'd have to be something special. Well, at least in my mind Plan B fits that description. His music isn't constricted to rap either, he frequently and extensivesly uses acoustic guitars, pianos, occasionally even violins. But the most impressive thing in my mind, is that the man can hold a note! His singing is emotional, varied and more often than not fits his songs like a dream. And he can change straight back to rap in a second. It's this variation and experimentation that I like so much about him, every song is different and keeps me interested.

He has one album, Who Needs Actions When You Got Words released in 2006 and his second album, The Defamation Of Strickland Banks is due on the 12th of this month.

Here are a few of my favourites:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can handle this rap, Sal. I just have a super hard time with "gangsta" rap.

Nice thread, btw, this guy has a mellow voice, and that is a good thing :) this music feels more like R & B than Rap.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Yeah you're right, it's more R&B/soul music than anything, but he still raps a lot too. And for me it's really refreshing to hear actual singing in music like this! I like the subjects of his songs too, he's creating stories with his lyrics, and getting messages across that aren't self-centred and manufactured which again is rare and refreshing :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
You know, I knew you had a potential rap side when you crept into my Sage Francis thread and didn't bomb it. :heheh: You know there's a lot more singing in rap than you think Sal. The most mainstream examples are Eminem and Kanyes last album, which is pretty much a soul/R&B album. Anyway, I like this guy fine when he sings. He's got a Maroon 5/Robin Thicke vibe to it when he sings. I prefer his straight out rap being that my favorite song was Tough Love. The aggressive rapping tone with his accent was really cool sounding! The mix of both to mix it up is really cool! You are right about his lyrical content! It's centered on themes like the best rap is as opposed to braggadocio. I'm going to make a Mat Kearney thread in your honor Sal since he has a similar style and I think you might like him! You should check it out! :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! I thought there was a bit of Maroon 5 in there as well, most notably in She Said, his latest single.

I'm treading carefully and moving slowly at this point, it's very early days in my rap listening career, but I'll definitely check out Mat's music :grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I can handle this rap, Sal. I just have a super hard time with "gangsta" rap.

Nice thread, btw, this guy has a mellow voice, and that is a good thing :) this music feels more like R & B than Rap.

I agree very much with Magic.. This guy at least sings!! Gangsta rap comes off to me and excuse the way I say this but.. Un- Intelligent..
Meaning when they rap the lyrics are pretty watered down to just rhyming..
And you can just hear it in the guys voice that he didn't make it past the 6th grade as far as his education goes..
Does that make sense???
Modern rap needs a overhaul.. Too many wanna be's try their hand at it and you have a already saturated market of garage/ bathroom rappers.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
So I heard a Plan B song on the radio today (one of the few times I listen to radio) that sounded completely rock n' roll. It hasn't been released as a single yet, which makes me wonder how JJJ got hold of it, but anyway this is the song:

I've got the album downloading as I post this :grinthumb

snotface

Reaction score
1103029_BEN_DREW_P.jpg

As the first rapper ever to grace my music collection, you'd think they'd have to be something special. Well, at least in my mind Plan B fits that description. His music isn't constricted to rap either, he frequently and extensivesly uses acoustic guitars, pianos, occasionally even violins. But the most impressive thing in my mind, is that the man can hold a note! His singing is emotional, varied and more often than not fits his songs like a dream. And he can change straight back to rap in a second. It's this variation and experimentation that I like so much about him, every song is different and keeps me interested.

Interesting thread about Plan B and got me to register. Looks like a great forum.

That video is of a British guitarist paying along to Plan B's Ill Manors. It's so intense and awesome. Should probably start a thread about him elsewhere on the forum. Might just do that. Bloody awesome videos by this guy.

BTW First post go easy!

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online