Pink Floyd Will Not Reunite At 2012 Olympics

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
LINK: Pink Floyd Will Not Reunite At The London 2012 Olympics, According To David Gilmour

Pink Floyd will not reunite at the London 2012 Olympics according to guitarist David Gilmour. Despite previous reports of the rumored reunion, Gilmour quickly had one of his representatives call NME to put the rumor to rest. “There is no truth in recent media speculation about Pink Floyd reuniting to perform for the 2012 London Olympics.”

It’s obviously going to take a lot more than a monumental gig to get these guys back on the stage together. If the 2012 Olympics aren’t enough to cement a reunion deal, what is?

While the hope for a Pink Floyd reunion will never wane, going forward, it appears that both Roger Waters and Gilmour have a pretty full calendar. Waters plans a full swing tour in the summer with more ‘The Wall’ concert dates expected to be announced in August for the USA. Gilmour is currently working on a new album and is considering a tour of his own, in late 2012-2013.

So, if you’re holding your breath for a Pink Floyd reunion, it’s time to exhale because it looks like Gilmour has just put “another brick in the wall.”

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Black Sabbath declined many times about reunions. I can't trust bands and media on that any more. :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There really can never be another proper Pink Floyd reunion, not since Rick Wright passed away.

Roger and David have buried the hatchet and speak to each nowadays, which is a big step forward from a few years ago during the acrimonious split. I am not surprised Roger is touring and enjoying himself, or that David is planning something of his own.

It is possible they will do another complete show together sometime in the future, record a BluRay DVD and close the book of PF forever at that point.

I can never foresee a complete world farewell tour, just doesn't seem in the cards.

gguerra

Reaction score
There really can never be another proper Pink Floyd reunion, not since Rick Wright passed away.

I can never foresee a complete world farewell tour, just doesn't seem in the cards.

The same could have been said of groups like the Who with no Keith Moon and John Entwistle but they carried on.. IMO there is no drummer like Keith Moon but Roger and Pete (being on good terms) decided to keep going. Then again Zeppelin never really came back. So it is really up to the remaining members. There may be some pride involved here with David Gilmour not appreciating the way Waters had treated Rick Wright in the past. After all he was the keyboardist and not a guitarist or vocalist. He could be replaced musically but in the eyes of many it would not be the "True" Pink Floyd. This is really how I think of post Roger Waters PF, it is not the "original" but many see them as just as good as the original.. In any case, I doubt they would ever come out with a full tour.. They may play some shows but a full tour with new material seems hopeless at this point.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am not positive but I think David is the one who has strong feelings about Pink Floyd without Rick Wright not touring. Unlike when the band split up and both parties kept releasing albums/touring this is like a death in the family.

Personally I like the Post Waters era Floyd and the two studio albums they made better than Roger's solo material. And Delicate Sound of Thunder is a fantastic live presentation of the band.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I have all of the Roger Waters solo stuff and I like it but I have to agree LG.

I like the Floyd stuff without him ALOT more.

gguerra

Reaction score
It seems the mood and songwriting on the last two albums with Waters were taking a turn towards the dark side. However I do think that the latter PF lacked Waters' vocals that were apparent on earlier releases like WYWH and Animals. Gilmour sings on a lot of Floyd's songs but so does Waters. IMO I don't think either are great vocalists but together they become better. Wright was also a good vocalist but seldom lead vocals.

Here is a page listing the singers for Pink Floyd Songs (among other things)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pink_Floyd_songs

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
Had Rick not passed, I could have already seen a possible reunion. But having Rick to the left of David meant more than playing guitar to him. Jon can best replicate him, but Rick and David were always the closest within Pink Floyd.

If Gilmour tours I will take my wife again AND my son.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online