Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockmagazine.com

Pink Floyd Onstage Together In London
mdome / News, Top Posts / 13/05/2011 06:44am
Pink Floyd Onstage Together In London

There was a live Pink Floyd reunion in London last night (May 12).

David Gilmour and Nick Mason joined Roger Waters on stage at the O2 Arena during his performance of The Wall.

Gilmour played Comfortably Numb with Waters, while both he and Mason did Outside The Wall.

But don’t hold your breath for this to signal a full-blown Floyd re-formation.

In a statement on his own website, Gilmour subsequently said:

“I should also remind you that tonight is most definitely a one-off; David is not repeating his special guest performance at a later occasion, I’m sorry to disappoint those of you with fingers crossed and tickets for later shows.”

See Gilmour and Waters together on Comfortably Numb here.

Classic Rock’s Paul Henderson writes:

It’s difficult to imagine anything that could come along that would, even could, topple Roger Waters’s current The Wall tour shows as the hottest ticket of this year – maybe even of the past few years.

It is, after all, a live performance, by its principal writer, of one of the most celebrated rock albums of all time (even though most Pink Floyd fans would argue that it is not the band’s best; Dark Side Of The Moon or Wish You Were Here probably take that accolade).

Regardless of the music of Floyd’s concept album of 1979, a big part of the excitement of Waters’s The Wall show is that it is an Event, a truly spectacular, retina-searing event on a scale that, in rock at least, will quite likely never be seen again.

With the arsenal of multimedia technology being utilised, even without a single note being played the production is at times breathtaking.

For many in the audience at the O2 in London on Thursday night, the most breathtaking moment (indeed people were seen to be actually shedding tears) was seeing David Gilmour, standing atop the iconic giant wall, playing the similarly now iconic guitar solo in Comfortably Numb.

After years of bitter non-relations between Waters and Gilmour, which thawed enough for a Floyd reunion for Live8, and even allowed the two to play together on a low-key occasion recently, for Floyd fans it will have rekindled faint hopes of some fully fledged Pink Floyd reunion shows.

Realistically, however, with both men well into their 60s, was it was more likely a public closing of the Pink Floyd circle; the final full stop; the last brick to be laid in what has been a truly epic career?

(Read our full Roger Waters review in Classic Rock issue 160, on sale Wednesday, June 22.)

waters-1-731x1024.jpg

waters-2-1024x682.jpg

waters-3-1024x682.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
If it was "the last brick in the wall" then it's a classy way to go out. Both Roger and David were successful together and when they split years ago.

If Roger wants to keep touring and playing The Wall to rave reviews good on 'em I say.

As far as any future Pink Floyd projects go...I think when Rick Wright passed away a few years ago, that was the end of the band.

Will Roger and David maybe get together again...?

Anything is possible, if nothing else numerous other artists have proven you are smart to never say publicly "this is the absolutely final tour/concert we are ever going to do"....so many of their peers have made a mockery of that it has become meaningless to me.

If it's over, then thanks for everything guys, you will always be a singularly unique band in rock music history, and one of my all time favorites.:bow:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
There are a number of vids on youtube...

I think this is probably the most complete vid (that I saw) and has some decent closeups of Gilmour

gguerra

Reaction score
David Gilmour joining Roger Waters

Thought I would share this, David Gilmour joins Roger Waters on Stage at London's 02 Arena for "Comfortably Numb"

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online