Order of Play

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Do you think a particular album could have benefited from a better order of play?

Let me give one example, On Free Hand by Gentle Giant the first three songs ( Just The Same, On Reflection and Free Hand ) are very strong songs and arguably the best songs. Not that the other ones are weak but I think if GG would not have put those songs in the beginning of the album,the whole album would have been better.

Are there examples of albums in your collection where the band should have given more thought about the order of songs?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll have to think about that one Tony....:think:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think I understand, and I am sure the artists/producers had the same struggle when putting tracks in order on a record or CD. Hard to know when you've got it exactly right.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Most of the albums I know have 2-4 favourite tracks shuffled, only Ozzy's Scream has 3 first songs good and rest of them rubbish.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I'll definitely give this one some thought as well. I notice that some of artists tend to be the not so strong songs near the end of the albums. Which I don't really understand considering I would assume that you'd want the album to end with a "bang". I'll see if I can think of any albums, I know i've heard some.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Sgt Pepper‘s first side was originally going to be sequenced differently. The side runs:

1. Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With a Little Help From My Friends
3. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing a Hole
6. She’s Leaving Home
7. Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite

The initial running order, though, was:

1. Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With a Little Help From My Friends
3. Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite
4. Fixing a Hole
5. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
6. Getting Better
7. She’s Leaving Home

http://www.allyngibson.net/?p=1164

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I would have to say Belus by Burzum. When I first got the record I thought it was pretty weak because all the best songs are at the end... Coulda spread them out.

spudnuto

Reaction score
Beggar's Banquet...sides 1 & 2 should be reversed imo. Works better when side 1 starts with "Street Fighting Man".

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online