Opeth (Official Thread)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Riff is right, Opeth is not for everyone and perhaps you will never get into them. On the other hand, they are the kind of band that needs time and attention to really appreciate, especially if you are trying to get into them at this point in their career with 11 albums behind them and a new one coming out soon.

I'd say give "Blackwater Park" a spin, from start to end. Pay attention and if you're not converted by the end of it, just move on. Shit happens. :oyea:

I agree here as well. They've got quite a vast discography with different elements in each of them. Blackwater Park is a good one to start, and I'd throw in Damnation as well. Ghost Reveries is probably my favorite, so you can't go wrong with that one either.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Riff is right, Opeth is not for everyone and perhaps you will never get into them. On the other hand, they are the kind of band that needs time and attention to really appreciate, especially if you are trying to get into them at this point in their career with 11 albums behind them and a new one coming out soon.

I'd say give "Blackwater Park" a spin, from start to end. Pay attention and if you're not converted by the end of it, just move on. Shit happens. :oyea:

hmmm I`ll give it a spin and see where of if it takes to me...:grinthumb

Metal Health

Reaction score
hmmm I`ll give it a spin and see where of if it takes to me...:grinthumb

I would very highly recommend Damnation, even though it isn't true to Opeth's classic sound. It is a beautiful acoustic album. Also, check out the Watershed album, specifically Coil and Burden. Opeth is a great band and you never know what to expect because most of their songs have a great acoustic part that suddenly crescendos into a huge death metal electric part. Like I said, great band with the heavy songs as well as the acoustic ones.:)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I beg to differ about Damnation not being true. It is as true to their sound as most of their work. Experimentation and not making the same album twice has always been the Opeth style and for me that's just a part of why they're fantastic.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
"Damnation" is a great record, but it's an album, which only represents a fragment of their style. It's not the first album I'd recommend to someone who wants to get into Opeth, but I would recommend it to anyone who wants to listen to a really good acoustic/proggy album. :D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A decent size fragment to be fair since acoustic melodies are in most of their albums. lol

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also taken into account was their song lengths too. They did more with longer tracks back in their early days especially songs like Black Rose Immortal which I would recommend actually for any newish fans. When recommending something it depends a lot on the vocals for this band in my opinion. If they want cleans go with Damnation, Pale Communion.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Will O The Wisp

Great song.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member