Opera

Kate

Deadhead
Reaction score
Bump!

Good call Joker. I've detailed my unlikely ascent to the realm of Classical in a previous post; yet, as improbable as even that seemed just a few years ago, the suggestion that I'd become a maven for the opera would've appeared categorically ludicrous!

Recently, I attended my first: a performance of Bizet's "Carmen" in Knoxville about a month ago that left me spellbound! My appreciation being aided immeasurably by English translation on a digital screen above the proscenium.

I'm an undisputed novice, but my burgeoning appreciation for this magnificent marriage of vocal instrumentation and musical orchestration was primarily catalyzed by the operatic components of the Furtwangler Legacy box...

furtwangler.jpg

...which, at $90 USD about a year ago, I still consider the single greatest bargain in the history of recorded music across any genre! But - and Furtwangler fans already know where I'm headed - the operatic gem here is WF's treatment of Wagner's Ring cycle, which comprises 14 discs of near-uniform brilliance.

I don't know if shared Teutonic sensibilities explain the Furtwangler/Wagner symbiosis, but the alchemy is pure magic...here's one most will recognize - think, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning":

peace, K

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online