OneRepublic (Official Thread)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
OneRepublic

ad09554b-d0c1-4b69-992c-82719a363e4b.jpg

Official Website

OneRepublic is a rock band whose roots trace back to lead singer Ryan Tedder and guitarist Zack Filkins during their high school years in the late 90's. However, they later gained prominence on MySpace in 2006 and, oddly enough, were added to Timbaland's record label, Mosley Music Group alongside artists such as Chris Cornell and Nelly Furtado and various hip-hop acts. Since then the band has amassed gold record status with their debut album Dreaming Out Loud in 2007 and scored impressive radio and download records.

I have enjoyed OneRepublic's music because these guys are not only talented musicians, but true artists. Each member of the band is skilled not only in basic "rock instruments" but classical instruments, a skill clearly represented in their work. They are often times compared to Coldplay, which may be another reason I got into their work, although they deny Coldplay being an influence. OneRepublic isn't a band for the "hard rock" aficionado, but fans of simple ballads or upbeat pop-rock tunes will enjoy them. Some of their music even has hip-hop influenced undertones. Their first album, Dreaming Out Loud, bears stark contrast to their second album, Waking Up (the former being much more ballad-based and the second being more upbeat and pop-influenced with a variety of easily-recognized, catchy tunes).

Discography:
Dreaming Out Loud (2007)
Waking Up (2009)
Native (2013)

Song recommendations (along with some of their well-known hits):

Stop and Stare

All Fall Down

Secrets

Everybody Loves Me

Last edited by a moderator:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Great writeup Jen! Some stuff I wasn't aware of honestly! I think that the Timbaaland association makes more sense than some might think. Producers often like a wide genre of music as they are true music fans. Just look at Rick Rubin's Hip-hop history and how he went to that to working with johnny Cash, Neil Diamond and The Dixie Chicks! :) Also as you said OneRepublic has a R&B type mix in with their music. You posted most of the songs I'm into so I'll just leave this with my comments! Well done! :cheers2

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Thank you Sooty! I'm just getting into my band thread-making groove thanks to you!

Here's the two versions of Apologize, one of OneRepublic's better-known songs. The first is the original, almost orchestral version. The second is the collaboration with Timbaland. I've always much preferred the first as it gives you a good idea of their capabilities with their classical instruments and I never saw the need for Timbaland in the other version anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I think the original version of Apologize is far better than the version with Timbaland. The original just has more emotion, which is what the song is supposed to have.

I noticed you posted Stop and Stare as well, that's another favorite of mine, absolutely beautiful.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
There's a lot of their songs I'm fond of. I've been enjoying their first album a lot more than the second. Have you heard the Timbaland version of Marchin On? Terribad! :bonk:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I haven't heard it, no. I'm not too fond of Timbaland anyway, so I don't think i'd enjoy it too much.

Dreaming Out Loud is probably their best release in my opinion though. Granted, I haven't really given Waking Up much of a chance, I think i've given it one listen. Not the greatest way to give an opinion. I'll probably have to listen to it more.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score

Listen to it when you have a chance. It's awful. I'm glad the guy signed the band but he needs to keep his hands off their songs! He's going to completely alienate them from the rock community IMO. :think:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
It's probably one of those deals where since he signed the band, he gets a bit of control over their songs. Which isn't exactly fair, but in the music business, you can't really do much about that. I mean...Apologize with Timbaland wasn't terrible, it's listenable to an extent, but I don't think he should be included in their music.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Giving this thread a bump!

Here's a song I had featured in my profile from their much more ballad-driven first album Dreaming Out Loud, which bears stark contrast from the much more "poppy", catchy and upbeat tunes from Waking Up. I enjoy a nice ballad once in awhile though it's hard to get my attention with one and these guys pull it off well! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online