Nazareth (Official Thread)

rtbuck

Reaction score
Re: Nazareth~Who like them?

I've always been a fan.I was fortunate to see them open for April Wine around '80/'81(which I mentioned in the April Wine Thread).Billy Rankin had just replaced Zal Cleminson on guitar & Nazareth were supporting 'Snaz/Fool's Circle. The show was incredible & "Telegram" is such a great opening tune.They had some awesome Pyro during their version of "Shapes of Things to Come" & "Expect No Mercy". Of course I love the classic albums such 'Razamnaz','Hair of the Dog','Expect No Mercy','No Mean City',& 'Close Enough for Rock & Roll' but I always loved 'Malice in Wonderland'(even though it seems like a lot of fans don't care for it)."Talking to One of the Boys" is an incredible tune.I also love "Showdown at the Border","Holiday","Hearts Grown Cold","Fallen Angel" & "Big Boy".Actually "Big Boy" was originally released on an album called 'Fourplay' by Zal Cleminson's other band the Sensational Alex Harvey Band(w/out Alex).Alex was out of commision after injuring his back onstage but they needed an album due to contractual obligations so the band recorded 'Fourplay' w/out Alex(although he appeared on the back Cover tied up w/ his mouth taped shut. I was always a huge Cleminson fan & thought his playing was incredible on No Mean City. Billy Rankin was decent although he was only about 20 when he joined Nazareth but his connection was strange because he started playing in a band with Zal Cleminson when he was only 15.He then actually did some uncredited guitar work on that 'Fourplay' album I mentioned earlier. I have his first solo album which he released around '84 & actually one song called "Baby Comeback" did recieve airplay on MTV which is how I found out about the album.
I even liked Nazareth's last studio release 'The Newz'
Great Friggin' Band!!!!!!!!!!!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

istockphoto_2447147_raised_hand.jpg

Raises hand, YEP I am a Nazareth fan.

Nazareth+-+Hair+Of+The+Dog.jpg

Nazareth.jpg

F

FoxyPage

Love Hurts is an awesome song. It brings a tear to my icy eyes.

Zombeels

Reaction score

Big Nazareth fan here. I missed seeing them live in 1976 for $4.

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score

Hair of the Dog and Love Hurts are the only two songs that come to mind, but I'll have to look into their stuff more. My dad has the Hair of the Dog CD, so I'll give that whole thing a whirl

gguerra

Reaction score

I always got a kick out of this one

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Excellent everyone.. rtbuck.. I have to point out that I too liked "Malice in Wonderland".. I had made a trip back to my home town and all my friends were into "Expect No Mercy" So when I got back home I went out and bought.. "No Mean City" and "Malice in Wonderland"..Malice was different and you could pick up on Zal Cleminson guitar addition to the band.. All the songs you mentioned were also favorites off the album.. "Holiday" being the one I liked the most.. The line from it "MaMa please.. No more face lifts.. cause I don't know which you is"
is pretty funny and sorta freaky to think about how futuristic it is compared to these day's..
But glad to see you guys find them entertaining..
I guess I have a thing for male vocalist with a gruffy sound to them.. Makes up for an added instrument to the band.. :cheers:

rtbuck

Reaction score

Excellent everyone.. rtbuck.. I have to point out that I too liked "Malice in Wonderland".. I had made a trip back to my home town and all my friends were into "Expect No Mercy" So when I got back home I went out and bought.. "No Mean City" and "Malice in Wonderland"..Malice was different and you could pick up on Zal Cleminson guitar addition to the band.. All the songs you mentioned were also favorites off the album.. "Holiday" being the one I liked the most.. The line from it "MaMa please.. No more face lifts.. cause I don't know which you is"
is pretty funny and sorta freaky to think about how futuristic it is compared to these day's..
But glad to see you guys find them entertaining..
I guess I have a thing for male vocalist with a gruffy sound to them.. Makes up for an added instrument to the band.. :cheers:

You know what's funny about that "Gruffy" sound is that after Bon Scott passed away & I heard Back in Black for the first time,I thought it was Dan McCafferty singing for AC/DC!!

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

You know what's funny about that "Gruffy" sound is that after Bon Scott passed away & I heard Back in Black for the first time,I thought it was Dan McCafferty singing for AC/DC!!
Easy to mistake the two.. Now Tom Keifer has a great Gruffy voice.. I have to say I would take him over Axl's whiney singing.. Some say Axl's voice is great..
Maybe I'm just not impressed and think other wise..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

The_Newz.jpg

Pete Agnew - bass, backing vocals
Dan McCafferty - lead vocals
Jimmy Murrison - guitars
Lee Agnew - drums

Has anyone listened to this album yet?