My Top Picks of 2014

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Thank you. You are very kind. Sharp Dressed Man, I actually derailed the thread. :hijack:

No you didn't , hon. We can go right back to talking metal and we will ...it's all good.:D

Vader

Reaction score
I thought I w
uld add a personal favourite of mine from 2014.
Behemoth - The Satanist
Behemoth-TheSatanist.jpg

Considering how long its been since a Behemoth record I think this one was a triumphant return and also considering one of the band members overcame cancer. The album features a lot of their death metal sound of the last decade but returns also a lot of their old black metal sound too. Some fantastic melodies in the music too that it is an album I listen to start to finish a lot. Its so far my favourite album of the year.

I agree completely. One of my all time favorite Death Metal bands. I love their stuff ever since Incantations and I love The Satanist and feel that is an amazingly done original Blackened Death metal album.I'll go on record as saying that It is not only my favorite Behemoth to date but also the best metal release this year.

Once again, link to the entire album

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfa9z8qXkgQ

Last edited:

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
Some of my favorites:

mvk6.png

Agalloch - The Serpent & the Sphere (Black/Doom/Folk metal)

I always have high hopes going into an Agalloch record and here they do a fantastic job. With their unique mixed vocal styles, intricate songwriting and the addition of a few well placed neofolk acoustic passages. They never seem to disappoint me.

8ikd.png

The Body - I Shall Die Here (Sludge Metal/Experimental)

TWISTED! Only listen to this at night
jason-smiley-face.gif

Elend+a1613024765_2.jpg

Suðri - Elend (Depressive Black/Doom Metal)

Black/doom metal is my favorite type of metal. This mind you is a very very pleasant surprise, the music contained within is highly emotional and very depressive. The vocals are really anguished and desperate sounding.

4kof.png

Deep Mountains - Lake of Solace (Atmospheric Black Metal)

This is not your typical black metal album. The Chinese metal (like Japanese) scene rarely does anything that can be regarded as typical. The beautiful album art is what intrigued me to give this a listen. Lake of Solace is mostly instrumental, vocals show up here and there. If you're into calmer and more atmospheric side of metal, than this is for you!

sgwn.png

Saor - Aura (Atmospheric Folk/Black Metal)

That album cover is what got me to listen to this. There's something very mythical and earthy about it. Overall, this one turned out to be a nice and mellow take on athmospheric black metal, with some nice folk influences weaved into it.

0ge0.png

The Morningside - Letters from the Empty Towns (Melodic death/doom)

Hailing from the cold north of Russia comes The Morningside, one of my very favorite Death/Doom metal bands and they've finally decided to release new album this year. With their melodic, yet brutal approach, they enter the metalscene like a breath of fresh air.

I'm going to check this out too myself :grinthumb

Vader

Reaction score
I'll have to look Into this stuff when have more time, Taboo. :grinthumb

Vader

Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi2byoKN-GM

ICED EARTH-The Plaugues of Babylon

1388526269_aafb85bcc6a64bd908449b680b56a28e.jpg

I absolutely LOVE this record. The second installment of the Stu Block era of Iced Earth
Is a revisitation of some of the end time rise of the anti-christ like story first encountered on Something Wicked This Way Comes. A lot people are saying it is a let down after Dystopia but for me personally I feel like it....for most part....is more of a return to the heavier Matt Barlow material while stretching bounderies. Another of my top 3 so far this year and I at times favor it even over the aforementioned Behemoth release.

Full album link:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online

No members online now.