My experiment seemed to work.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
I was looking into buying a record cleaning system. But while at the hardware store I ventured into the painting section. There I found many types of short fiber brushes and tack cloth.

So I get out an unplayed (by me) album and lay it over the album cover. I rubbed lightly with the tack cloth to remove all obvious surface debris. It's sticky enough for dust and hair without grabbing the vinyl itself. Next, I dribble a bit of distilled water and worked in into the grooves with the larger brush. I dried and cleaned off the water with a roll of toilet paper. Another wipe with the tack cloth (which also has anti-static properties.) A final scrubbing the grooves with a smaller brush, followed by a final wipe with the tack cloth.

Result--a well cleaned and less static bearing album. Great method for a quick clean. Biggest impact was a quieter background and cleaner bass. The records became music.

I did a Spin Clean Record Washing System.

SPIN CLEAN Record Washing System : Welcome
It will do both sides and has a better cleaning solution. Compared to vacuum system that start at around $300 this combo should meet my needs.

Eventually (Christmas) I'll look into a new turntable or at least upgrade my cartridge.:grinthumb

Last edited:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Good stuff! Some of those vacuum based record cleaning machines can cost over $1000.

What turntable and cartridge combination are you running now?

:huh:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Good stuff! Some of those vacuum based record cleaning machines can cost over $1000.

What turntable and cartridge combination are you running now?

:huh:

Pioneer PL 670 direct servo turntable
Pioneer PC-295T PC295T phono cartridge
Pioneer PN-295T PN295T stylus

Can't find a decent picture....

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I still have my old Kenwood with SME III tonearm and it works great. I use a carbon fiber brush to clean my albums, like Hep said those vacuum disc cleaners are expensive.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
I got my Spin Clean today and it really works well.The albums are getting cleaned and the clicks and pops are almost gone. I just sampled a used copy of Joni Mitchell's "Court and Spark" and the results were very noticable. The music jumps out of the background. Bass is deep and tight. I'm happy and it cost right at $70 with two day shipping.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked out Shadow, and when you do go to look for cartridges, there are some really good online stores left, and Grado, Audio Technica, Ortofon still make new cartridges and stylus's. If I do buy another one, I would get a new Grado and get a replacement stylus as well, that would last until retirement.:D

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
That's really all that I might do later, but it all sounds fine as is now.
Do you think any four pin replacement will work?

You know I have vintage 80's gear and it sounds alive playing these albums.
With a minimum of 125 watts and efficient speakers it just feels right.

I think you understand.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online