Musical Medication and Various Prescriptions

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
After discussing how different types of music can essentially provide the same effect in another thread I decided it would be a cool idea for it's own thread. I find that all moods or genres of music can provide the effect of making us feel better and curing what ails us so to speak. For me I think everything from anger to happiness to sadness in music all pick me up at one point or another.

Please in the interest of the thread try to give examples of all of these! :D I'll set the tone!

Anger
(Music I listen to when I want something aggressive to get my angst out. At 30 I still have it! :heheh: There are times when nothing makes me feel better than the energy that comes from this mood!)

The Used-Maybe Memories
(This one's a classic standby for me)

Happiness
(Sometimes the energy I need is just a positive message, a goofy vibe or just a happy bubblegum energy)

Say Anything-Do Better
(my latest obsession, great clever and inspiring lyrics)

Sadness
(I'm the ballad guy! I admit it! Anyway nothing fulfills me more than a melancholy ballad! When someone sings something that you can relate to it's not depressing in my opinion but fulfilling and cathartic)

City and Colour-Happiness By The Kilowatt
(melancholy tone but so raw it's cathartic as hell, I relate to the emotion a lot)

So what are your examples for each basic mood?

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Feed your head!!!

It starts off innocently enough...

Then the kids raid the medicine shelf...

And it tugs and pulls at your soul...

And you stick your arm again...

But, eventually you have to come back down...

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Well the only way to add balance to what you know will happen is to add your own official input Annie! :grinthumb

I have ZERO tolerance for threads that glamorize drugs. After years with a grandson suffering from drug addiction and severe depression, we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Last month he finally entered a rehab institute with psychological counseling and he is now feeling terrific. But this after having stolen $25,000 from his parents and grandparents over the years to feed his habit. He was given his first drug at 9 years of age. He is now 23. It all makes me sick to my stomach. If this forum supports drug use, then I have no business being here.

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I have ZERO tolerance for threads that glamorize drugs. After years with a grandson suffering from drug addiction and severe depression, we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Last month he finally entered a rehab institute with psychological counseling and he is now feeling terrific. But this after having stolen $25,000 from his parents and grandparents over the years to feed his habit. He was given his first drug at 9 years of age. It all makes me sick to my stomach. If this forum supports drug use, the I have no business being here.

Did you read my OP? :hm: If you just read my thread title and came to that conclusion then I think *face palm* frankly I might have to give up! :bonk: Nothing in there was drug related. If you went by the response to my OP and thought I should censor it because it was still drug related then once again "I give up!" :dunno: That's his deal and at least it was music related and that's all I want. I don't think it's too much too ask to stick to music content instead of griping over each others personal values.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Did you read my OP? :hm: If you just read my thread title and came to that conclusion then I think *face palm* frankly I might have to give up! :bonk: Nothing in there was drug related. If you went by the response to my OP and thought I should censor it because it was still drug related then once again "I give up!" :dunno: That's his deal and at least it was music related and that's all I want. I don't think it's too much too ask to stick to music content instead of griping over each others personal values.

OK, I' out of here. It has been nice knowing you all. Goodbye.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I understood what you were going for here, Soot. Music is very much like medication in that it can regulate or modify our behavior. It can also serve for Primal Scream therapy. :D

But to diss this thread because it glorifies the use of drugs is ridiculous. Are you also as quick to condemn Clapton's "Spoonful", Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" and half of all the other 60's songs because your nephew used, Annie?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I understood what you were going for here, Soot. Music is very much like medication in that it can regulate or modify our behavior. It can also serve for Primal Scream therapy. :D

But to diss this thread because it glorifies the use of drugs is ridiculous. Are you also as quick to condemn Clapton's "Spoonful", Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" and half of all the other 60's songs because your nephew used, Annie?

Thanks Dave! I've never even used drugs but as long as it's within the context of music and on topic I don't care if peoples song choices are about crack. :oyea: You are right though in that most of the 60's artist were influenced by drug culture in their music so it's hard to be a fan of that era if you want to avoid songs having to do with some form of getting high. Music is about the experience and is a huge leap from doing the experience itself.

Having said that Dave do you have any picks having to do with my OP Dave! You like a variety of music! I'm sure there is an example of Mad, Happy and Sad in there somewhere! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online

No members online now.