Music Festivals from 1970

Agamemnon86

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
As you know, this year we celebrate the 50 year old anniversary of the Isle of Wight '70 festival, which is possibly one of the best ever. Maybe we could take a moment to discuss not only the Isle of Wight, but some others, like
--The Atlanta Pop Festival from' 70
--Tanglewood '70
etc

Honestly speaking, these three are the only ones I know, and I would really like to learn more about the rock scene in that year. I know you guys have more knowledge

I hope you find this topic as interesting as I do
Anyway, have a great day you guys

Envoyé de mon BLA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Ag...just to give you a flavour of where i came from...attended this at my local Soccer Club...a year before the thread theme:
019ec6d286272b5eb4c0fe6491b8f4db.jpg
As you can see..it's a veritable who's who!
...and for less than £1.
91-Cp-Z6-West-L-AC-SY550.jpg
...nice line up for this '70 knees up!

Agamemnon86

Reaction score

Damn, the powder ridge setlist is not bad! Mountain, The guess who and james taylor the same night? Janis and Chuck Berry opening the third day? Not to mention Jethro Tull! They had some spectacular performances that year!
It would've been amazing to attend such a festival in Middlefield. Too bad it followed Altamont; I guess many festivals from '70 suffered because of that...

Also, the pop and blues festival you mentioned from '69 was a really good deal! Seeing Pink Floyd and Status Quo in '69 was an unforgettable experience, I bet!

Thank you for sharing

E-Z

Reaction score
In England I remember hearing about the third Isle of Wight festival in 1970 at the time that it happened (held at East Afton farm) and also seeing the television news film footage of the huge mass of people attending it that August bank holiday then shortly afterwards I remember hearing about the death of Jimi Hendrix the headliner act at the festival about 3 weeks after the Isle of Wight festival finished. Also regarding two other USA notable rock festivals from the 1960s I vaguely remember hearing about was the Monterey Pop festival back in the summer of 1967 when it was happening when I was 10 years old again via the television and of course the massive Woodstock festival in August 1969 when I was 12 years old again when it was happening when it was reported on the television news in the UK. In England after the 1970 Isle of Wight festival finished it all went a bit quiet regarding festivals because the local 'square dudes' aged over 50 years or over who were living on the Isle of Wight at that time kicked up a stink over the noise and mass invasion of long-haired hippies onto the island and complained to the authorities and got any future festivals that may have been held on the island BANNED during the rest of the 1970s & 1980s

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
I think Isle of Wight is the only one I know of. I'm sure there were others though.
Watching Hendrix at the Atlanta 'pop' festival in July 1970 several months ago and they implied on the dvd that Atlanta was the end of the 'hippy free love era' in the USA. Another rock concert was held at Randall's Island in New York in June 1970

Quite a few rock festivals took place in the US in 1969.

Arkie

Reaction score
Well this was almost 50 yrs ago...September 1, 1974
Great show , but the stadium got trashed and there wouldnt be another for 20 yrs.
Bad Co with Jimmy Page was memorable.
OLEIay3OmapYDq0F8K2Sq0KZiONhVCNGARjr_DNtlYPvRWkc0Eo3cqmK7uc0sVL1ihuRvhhtfZRMpYafAo2ba3jBLHqUnjUWnjj9

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
I've never been to a rock festival just watching the 3 hours Woodstock movie was enough for me anyway rock festivals from the end of the 1960s and the early 1970s appeared to have been an 'endurance test' for both the artist's & bands and also the mass gathering of fans?. At the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 bands were coming on stage like The Who for example at 2:00am and Jimi Hendrix and his power didn't come on stage until about 3:00am on the bank holiday Monday morning.

Nowadays it's all nicely organised and the music probably goes off at 11:00pm so everyone can retire to there 'pop up tent' and get into there blow up bed and get a good nights sleep ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....??.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Nice line up. The only omissions Jimi Hendrix and possibly Johnny Winter and 'the Airplane' but a good line up overall.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online