Movie scores and soundtracks

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I don't see a movie scores or film soundtracks thread anywhere, and I'm talking original scores, composed specifically for the big screen (or TV series) and not like Quentin Tarantino using Chuck Berry and Nancy Sinatra songs in his films! (as great as those movies of his are). So I thought 'classical' was the most appropriate section to start one, since most (though not all) of them tend to be orchestral based.

There's some great people worked in movies over the years, and composed some exceptional music, some of it IMO as great and as long-lasting as anything composed by the classical 'great' composers - a few that I really like are James Horner, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Jerry Goldstein, Howard Shore, Alex North, Danny Elfman, Michale Kamen, Erich Korngold, Thomas Newman, Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, Miklos Rozsa, plenty more. I'd say John Williams and James Horner are my Top 2! They would be amazing composers in any era or any genre of music. Not household names many of them, but I guarantee anyone who has ever spent any time watching movies over the years, you will know and love their music, even if you maybe don't realise that you do!

Here's some great themes to start off, see what you think, and add some of your own favourite film score excerpts...

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Can't say I know TOO much on this topic but I agree that LOTR has a simply fantastic soundtrack! I swear I watched the end credits over and over just for this song (which was written for the movie!)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
My two favorite Soundtracks for scores and my two favorites behind it, Graeme Raveal and Angelo Badalamenti:

41093V58QHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Lost-Highway-soundtrack.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
The Score (soundtrack) from Gladiator by Hans Zimmer

220px-Gladiatorsoundtrack.png

Damn good.

Of course, the score from the original Star Wars trilogy will always be near and dear to my heart, done of course by John Williams.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
Lord of the Rings is definitely at the top of my list. It's an unbelievable score and the orchestra who recorded it sounds amazing. I'm hoping to go see the Chicago Symphony Orchestra this year at Ravinia play the score to The Fellowship of the Ring live to the movie. That would be insane!!!!

Love this music and scene at 2:00 in when Gandalf reveals the great halls of the Dwarves. So epic!

A few others:

I just love all the different themes that fit so well. I really think a good score can elevate a movie to supreme excellence, and LotR is a prime example!

Kuaizi

Reaction score
I also really like the soundtrack to 12 Monkeys. It's a bit quirky, but has some really great moments. Paul Buckmaster (who worked with Elton John in the earlier years) wrote the score, and the main theme was adapted from a piece by Astor Piazzola

cdcover_back.jpg

My favorite from it, which makes the ending that much greater!

The main theme

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
James Horner has quite a few breath taking film scores.

301.jpg

1744.jpg

Cover2.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Great picks so far, Kuaizi I just recently picked up the complete LOTR's soundtracks, 10 CD's worth of epic music.:bow:

Here's a movie soundtrack I love, Alan Silvestri's "Predator".

predator.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
John Debney has some dramatic scores:

5edff0f9e7a0f27e28a78110L.jpg

158237_1_f.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads