Molkie Cole (Official Thread)

rtbuck

Reaction score
MolkieCole.jpg

n_a

Back in the mid/late 70’s , besides bending your mind & splitting your eardrums, rock & roll music was not only intended for your ears, rock & roll was also very theatrical with bands such as Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Kiss, Utopia, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, ELO, & Pink Floyd (among others) leading the way. During the mid 70’s a band from the Cleveland, Ohio, area emerged on the theatrical rock scene & released one album on Janus Records. The band’s name was Molkie Cole & after their 1977 self-titled release, the band toured non-stop playing 4-5 shows a week from Atlanta to Chicago. Each show used 200 lbs. of dry ice, which the promoter at each venue supplied. Sadly by 1979 the band had gone its separate ways.

n_a

n_a

Molkie Cole featured Paul Pope on guitar & lead vocals, Tim Cole on drums & vocals, Pat Cole on bass, Bobby Steinmetz on keyboards & Sax, & Phil James on lead guitar. Pope would always wear baseball pants & socks, Converse All- Star sneakers(2 different ones), a base ball cap with its lid flipped up, & mime make-up & drummer Tim Cole had a full afro & dressed in clown clothes & clown make-up. Every Molkie Cole would start off with Tim Cole at the front of the stage telling some kind of wild & weird tale in a demented clowns voice which would always end with “Soooooooo Let’s ROCK & ROLL with …MOLKIE COLE!!!” & the band would launch into their opening number.
One of the highlights that would take place was during the song “Steel Grapes” which was a humorous tune about a guy who had an operation to have his privates enlarged. Pope would walk out onstage with a costume that made him look like one of the Fruit of the Loom guys as he was covered in huge grapes. Molkie Cole always performed a near perfect cover of “I am the Walrus” & one of their show stoppers was always a cover of Alex Harvey’s “Midnight Moses”. They had these two great tunes which they performed together, one was called “Kill Myself” which had a similar sound to the music on Alice Cooper’s “Second Coming” but with a Polka drum beat & as the song would gain momentum they would jam out with an almost note for note “Hotel California” solo with that Polka back beat rhythm. They would then launch into a song called “Untitled” which Pope wrote after his dad died when Pope was only 15. This song is unbelievable & I’m not kidding but this song deserves to be up there with “Stairway to Heaven” as it’s full of amazing changes & it’s always one part of the show where Pope is totally serious. As their shows would come to a close the band would jam out an instrumental of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” complete with a bubble machine & “Zorba the Greek” in which Pope would really “mime” out. Some of the shows would end with Pope stuffing an Extra Large Hershey Bar in his mouth & singing the “Nothing like the face of a kid eating a Hershey bar commercial”(Later after Molkie Cole split up he changed over to Big Mac’s!)

Molke Cole had a very minor hit from their album which was called “Winter” but to this day that song is still popular in a few of the night clubs in the Buffalo area. There were a few problems with the album. One problem was the timing of its release. Janus records was a small label & they dumped almost all of their cash on Al Stewart’s ‘Year of the Cat’ album which eventually paid off for the label (The rumor was that they paid Alan Parsons 250,000 dollars to produce it) & Molkie Cole’s production suffered. Personally I love the record & the sound never bothered me but Pope especially was very vocal about the poor production. He wasn’t happy that when the record came out they replaced some of the guitar on “Winter” with keyboards & a harmonica. The band continued touring opening for bands such as Ted Nugent, Dr. Hook, Kansas, & Cheap Trick. In 1979 Pope became ill with mono & the band cancelled a couple of huge gigs even though Pope wanted to play the shows which eventually led to the split up. It’s a shame because the song “Untitled” never got to see the light of day back then.

rtbuck

Reaction score
Re: Molkie Cole

n_a

Molkie Cole went on for a few gigs without Pope but eventually split up. Paul Pope got a band together with 15 year old guitar wizard Willie Sullivan from the Cleveland area, drummer Joe Todaro, & former James Gang bassist(from their first record) Tom Kriss. They called themselves the Paul Pope Band & toured with Rainbow, Triumph, Steppenwolf, & the Guess Who. The Paul Pope Band was amazing to see live back then especially in the clubs. Pope was always selling out clubs & they were playing 3 full hour long sets consisting mostly of original material. By 1981 Kriss & Todaro were gone & since then Pope has used many different band members over the years including drummer John Sferra of Glass Harp fame, guitarist Robbie Rist (Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch), & bassist Gordon Copely (Lita Ford & Tony Iommi). Billy “Willie” Sullivan remained by Pope’s side for many of his shows between the 80’s & now but has had regular gigs playing in the Raspberries, Gary Lewis & the Playboys, & more recently in Herman’s Hermits. Pope released one CD a few years back called ‘Lone Shoe’ which featured a live version of the song “Untitled” & a great cover of “Midnight Moses”. Pope’s style after leaving the progressive rocking sounds of Molkie Cole was just fun popish tunes with a classic hard rock edge.

Here's the very 80's popish Broken Hearts with guitarist Robbie Rist (Cousin Oliver)

In 2006 Paul Pope & Molkie Cole reunited for a few shows & have gotten together for a few more shows last year. Here’s a review I did of one of the reunion shows I had seen:

Molkie Cole Reunion Show – Club Paradise Blasdell, NY 05/12/07

Molkie Cole started back in the early/mid 70’s & released 1 album on Janus Records that was a spinoff of the old Chess-Janus records which was known for their classic blues releases. The album came out in 1977 but by 1979 the band had split up. Almost 30 years later the band has reunited with a few select dates in the Cleveland, OH. & Buffalo, NY areas. Molkie Cole has always been known for their theatrical stage production & just good old rock & roll comparable to the Sensational Alex Harvey Band with a splash of Jethro Tull & even a bit of the original Alice Cooper Group .Molkie Cole features Tim Cole on drums & vocals, Pat Cole on bass & vocals, Phil James on guitars & vocals, Bob Steinmetz on keyboards, sax,& vocals,& Paul Pope on guitars & lead vocals.

The show started out with keyboardist Bob Steinmetz playing around on the keyboard which was reminiscent of the witch riding her bike in the ‘Wizard Of Oz’. Tim Cole appeared onstage (from where I was sitting he appeared to be wearing a toy soldier or marching band hat along w/ his usual clown make-up)& did his opening monologue which always ends with “…Rock & Roll w/ Molkie Cole!” . From there the band entered the stage through the stage door individually & launched into their opening song “Everything’s Gonna Be Alright” followed by “It’s True”(which musically reminds me a bit of “Second Coming” by Alice Cooper) both off of their Janus Records 1977 release. Pope(wearing a Cleveland Indians t-shirt & mime make-up)told a joke about cannibalism which led into a rocking version of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band’s “Midnight Moses” which had the packed house shouting “Hey, Hey Hey Hey!” along with the band. After a small keyboard break of “We’re off to see the wizard” Pope came back out through the stage door with his “Grape Costume” & the band played “Steel Grapes” which is about a man who was shorted a bit on his “manhood” but thanks to doctors & electricians they were able to give him a bionic manhood. The song was led by Tim Cole on lead vocals.
The band played a song written by bassist Pat Cole called “Susty Rue” which was an awesome rocker that launched into a small instrumental break of the Kinks “You Really Got Me” much in the same vein that Mott the Hoople used on their “R & R Queen” album. The familiar rhythm of Uriah Heep’s “Stealin’” filled the air as the band brought a few girls up on stage to sing back up vocals. As the rhythm kept pumping one of the girls stepped up to the mic & sang “…Take me across the water…” to which Pope stepped up & said something like “Hey, you’re stealing my job!” as the rest of the band & audience laughed. One thing I’ve got to say is that Pope’s vocals were phenomenal throughout both sets. In the first set they also played “Don’t Let them Tell You”, ”Moonage Daydream”(which was intro’d by soft keyboards of Bowie’s “Life On Mars”,& “Lady Stardust),& the first set ended with the classic “Untitled” which may have been the greatest classic rock song ever written. Pope’s vocals were incredible on this song but the entire band shined also(especially some amazing bass work by Pat Cole). It’s a shame Molkie Cole never got to release this tune because this is one song that really has to be heard by everyone.
Set 2 started off with the Stones “2000 Light Years From Home” which featured some great vocals by Phil James & some astounding “Space Guitar” work from Pope. Next was “Sugar Boogie” which had the fans singing along. Steinmetz toyed around on the keyboards a bit before launching into SAHB’s “Gang Bang” in which Pope was finding a few surprises in different areas of an inflatable doll. The band played an incredible version of ELO’s “Poker” & then went back to their S/T album & played “Missing the Point” led by Phil James. Another keyboard break featured some strange noises & barking dogs led into an acoustic version of Pope’s “Dog Dance” which had a special appearance by ”Pluto” who tried humping Pope’s leg. The band once again had the audience singing along with “Winter”(which has always been a favorite of the Buffalo Crowd).Tim Cole took over lead vocals(while wearing a Bozo the Clown wig) on an unbelievable cover of “I Am the Walrus” which led into a phenomenal & emotional instrumental finale of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”. The band came back out & rocked the house with “Blind Alley” before they bid farewell. Afterwards the band had a “Meet & Greet” by the merchandise stand but unfortunately my wife & I had to leave.
Overall the show was incredible which has to be witnessed live. Every band member stood out & really poured their hearts out for this performance. This show was complete with dry ice, a bubble machine, awesome lights,& the many wigs of Tim Cole.

Bucky

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Quite a read Bucky, never heard of Molkie Cole before, you sure sound enthusiastic about them. I didn't realize that tidbit about "Year of the Cat" taking all the resources from Janus, and the other artists records suffering as a result, that is a shame I always like an album to sound good technically.

I will look around to see what is available from these guys after reading your glowing tribute.:grinthumb

LM741C

Reaction score

I remember seeing these guys at the Causeway Inn in Linesville a few times when I was in college back around 1976. Those were some fun times!!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I remember these guys but forgot about them...wow! What a fun thread...Rick Neilsen as a mime...:heheh:

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

Nice thread! I had forgotten all about Molkie Cole. Another great contribution to the Cleveland classic rock scene.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.