Mike Bloomfield & the Electric Flag

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
Big fan of Mike Bloomfield. Electric Flag has some great music. Here's a great tune from Long Time Coming. Killing Floor has some awesome Guitar by Mike. Nice cover of the Howlin' Wolf classic

E-Z

Reaction score
The late great MICHAEL BLOOMFIELD as was previously said by other's the American answer to ERIC CLAPTON although unfortunately one of those guy's that has slowly been airbrushed out of rock history.

At onetime back in the early 1980s (just after Michael died) i bought a number of his solo albums and a book that was called-

MICHAEL BLOOMFIELD: THE RISE AND FALL OF AN AMERICAN GUITAR HERO.

FlowerChild

Reaction score
Hi - newbie here. :peace:

I also love Paul Butterfield & The Butterfield Blues Band. My brother passed along his music collection to me and although I do not have any Electric Flag, (yet) I have these from Bloomfield

Bloomfield_zpsaa758cb2.jpg

and from Butterfield

Butterfield_zpsc3e8cda7.jpg

He had an extensive music collection that I continue to sort through.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Michael Bloomfield Box Set on the Way

Michael-Bloomfield.jpg

He played on some of rock’s most pivotal early sessions, earning the undying respect and admiration of his peers along the way. Now, guitarist Michael Bloomfield is getting his due with a career-spanning box set, due Feb. 4, 2014, from Sony’s Legacy imprint.

The box, which includes three CDs and one DVD, includes an assortment of previously unreleased recordings, including Bloomfield’s first demos (recorded for the legendary A&R man John Hammond in 1964) and his final live performance, at a 1980 Bob Dylan concert in San Francisco.

In addition to a healthy focus on his solo material (as well as his stints with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and the Electric Flag), the box also collects a number of Bloomfield’s session work for other artists, including Dylan, Muddy Waters and Janis Joplin.

Titled ‘From His Head to His Heart to His Hands,’ the set boasts production from another of Bloomfield’s legendary peers, guitarist Al Kooper, who worked extensively with him throughout his career (including the hit ‘Super Session’ LP he recorded with Bloomfield and Stephen Stills in 1968). In addition to three CDs of music, the box features the premiere of the documentary ‘Sweet Blues: A Film About Michael Bloomfield,” which combines vintage audio interviews and live performance footage alongside new interviews with Bloomfield’s friends and fellow musicians. Check out the complete track listing below.

Disc One: Roots
‘I’m a Country Boy’
‘Judge, Judge’
‘Hammond’s Rag’
‘I’ve Got You in the Palm of My Hand’
‘I’ve Got My Mojo Workin’’
‘Like a Rolling Stone’ (Instrumental)
‘Tombstone Blues’ (Alternate Chambers Brothers Version)
Michael Speaks About Paul Butterfield
‘Born in Chicago’
‘Blues With a Feeling’
‘East-West’
‘Killing Floor’
‘Texas’
‘Susie’s Shuffle’ (Live Jam)
‘Just a Little Something’ (Live)
‘Easy Rider’

Disc Two: Jams
‘Albert’s Shuffle’
‘Stop’
‘His Holy Modal Majesty’
‘Opening Speech’ (Live)
’59th Street Bridge Song (Feeling Groovy)’ (Live)
‘Don’t Throw Your Love on Me So Strong’ (Live)
‘Santana Clause’ (Live)
‘The Weight’ (Live)
‘Opening Speech’ (Live)
‘One Way Out’ (Live)
‘Her Holy Modal Highness’ (Live)
‘Fat Grey Cloud’ (Live)
‘Mary Ann’ (Live)
‘That’s All Right’ (Live)

Disc Three: Last Licks
‘I’m Glad I’m Jewish’ (Live)
Men’s Room – Spoken Word Segment from McCabe’s (Live)
‘Don’t You Lie to Me’ (Live)
‘Can’t Lose What You Ain’t Never Had’ (Live)
‘Gypsy Good Time’ (Live)
‘One Good Man’
‘It’s About Time’ (Live)
‘Carmelita Skiffle’ (Live)
‘Darktown Strutters Ball’ (Live)
‘Don’t Think About It Baby’
‘Jockey Blues / Old Folks Boogie’ (Live)
‘A-Flat Boogaloo’ (Live)
‘Glamour Girl’ (Live)
Spoken Intro – Bob Dylan (Live)
‘The Groom’s Still Waiting at the Altar’ (Live)
‘Hymn Time’ (Live Excerpt)

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
I collect eveything I can of Mike Bloomfield. A brilliant guitarist. Especially liked him on Electric Flag album as well as with Paul Butterfield Band. His work with Al Kooper was also stellar :)

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
I collect eveything I can of Mike Bloomfield. A brilliant guitarist. Especially liked him on Electric Flag album as well as with Paul Butterfield Band. His work with Al Kooper was also stellar :)

fabulous guitarist dude...:bow::grinthumb

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Big fan of Mike Bloomfield. Electric Flag has some great music. Here's a great tune from Long Time Coming. Killing Floor has some awesome Guitar by Mike. Nice cover of the Howlin' Wolf classic

I'm the same, my friend. Bloomfield is somewhat underrated, but one of my favourite guitarists.

all three of you are right about Mike Bloomfield :wa:bow::bow::bow::bow:

Neshabur

Reaction score
I have all his sessions with Al Kooper. They're the quintessence of Blues Revival with notable jazzy influences - I think to "Her Holy Modal Highness" with a sublime guitar solo by Mike at Fillmore West. I also love the albums by Electric Flag, especially "A Long Time Comin" perfect combination between bluesy improvisations and jazzy horns arrangements. Another underrated album is "Mill Valley Casting Pearls..." featuring the best Frisco scene of the time. Other gem is "Live At Bill Graham's Fillmore West" and then it's remarkable his contribution to "My Labors" by Nick Gravenites.
With Duane Allman, Mike was one of the greatest blues rock guitarists.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online