Midnight Oil (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
One of my favorite Australian bands, although they formed in the early 70's and released 2 records in 1978-79, I am putting them in the 80's unless there are some Strenuous objections.;)

These guys remind me of the Clash, and Pete Seeger in the way they not only make memorable songs/music, but stand for something, in Oil's case it was the state of aboriginal affairs in Australia that is one of the staples in their songs. This is mainly due to Peter Garrett the lead singer, he was always staying up on current affairs and when something really got his attention he would write a song about it, then the band would add the music and voila a Midnight Oil album was the result.

I know many fans just want to listen to music and not care about messages etc., and even though what I said is true you don't have to know what they are singing about to enjoy their songs, they are a great band. I started late with them "Diesel & Dust" was my first CD, given to me at Christmas by my little brother eons ago now, but I have quite a collection of their CD's now.

Here's the first record, seeing they couldn't get a recording contract they formed their own label called "Powderworks", nothing seems to get in this bands way once they make up their minds to do something. The best way to describe the first album is raw, with a punk edge to it, I have played it a few times and now I really enjoy it, you can feel the intensity and talent of the band so the success that followed later was no surprise.

Here's the title song.

Last edited:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Re: Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil are great. Songs like Blue Sky Mine, The Dead Heart, and US Forces have great beats.

King Of The Mountain, Beds Are Burning and Kosciuszko are great too!

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

A great band.. They performed at the 2000 Olympics..

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

I think M O are a very OVERRated band, just like The Church.......INXS were far better :):):)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online