MGMT (Official Thread)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
MGMT​

mgmt.jpg

MGMT Official Website
MGMT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MGMT is a Grammy-nominated alternative rock band (though I've also heard them described as a modern day psychedelic rock band or indie rock) that gained prominence with their smash hit debut album Oracular Spectacular in 2007. I was first introduced to MGMT's "Kids" through an ex-boyfriend, and it was one of the few artists he introduced to me that stuck with me. Often dubbed a "stoner band", I find their upbeat and driving fast music to be motivational and uplifting, fun and inspiring. Check 'em out! :grinthumb

Discography
Oracular Spectacular (2007)
Congratulations (2010)
MGMT (2012)​

Kids​

Indie Rokkers​

Time to Pretend​

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I'll admit that i'm a bit rusty/not up to date with MGMT lately, the only full album i've heard from them is Oracular Spectacular, which I did thoroughly enjoy. I'll look into getting the other two albums in the near future.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
^^^ OS is definitely the better of the two so far and I'll focus on that one a little bit first. So many good tunes. :grinthumb I can't wait for their new one though.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I should have a copy of OS somewhere. If not, i'll get a copy of it tomorrow and give it a listen again. I'll definitely be giving the upcoming album a listen as well. 2012 seems to be looking like a good year for music, I already know 3 or 4 bands that are releasing new material, including this band.

And while i'm at it, i'll get a copy of Congratulations as well. Haven't heard anything from that one yet.

Titokinz

Earthbound misfit
Reaction score
Kids, Electric Feel, Time To Pretend were all I've really scraped up from them. Got any suggestions?

empress

Reaction score
only heard about 8 songs by them, so haven't completely gotten into them yet. i love Electric Feel, Destrokk and Time To Pretend. also Pursuit Of Happiness with Kid Cudi and Ratatat is amazing.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I've not heard much stuff at all by them, but I've always liked Kids, in fact I just downloaded it the other week. I'd heard Time To Pretend too but not Indie Rokkers, will have to check out more :)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Kids, Electric Feel, Time To Pretend were all I've really scraped up from them. Got any suggestions?

Why certainly! If you want to get a feel for why others call them "psychedelic" then I'd recommend "The Youth"... My favorite from Oracular Spectacular (besides "Kids") is probably "4th Dimensional Transition". There's a breakdown in it that reminds me a little of Muse with a retro feel to it.

"Of Moons, Birds and Monsters" is also very reminiscent of 60's music to me.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
The songs "Time to pretend" and "kids" have had plenty of airplay in the UK . I never tire of them both great modern psychedelic pop tunes .....the videos are also amazing, with great sense of creativitity and humour. Will be checking out more of their material :grinthumb

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Very nice Lou! They have a self-titled album coming out later this year. Hoping it will be as good as Oracular Spectacular as I really didn't dig on Congratulations too much myself. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online