McCartney Frustration With Lennon Legend

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Paul reflects on how Beatle’s murder led to “revisionism” – and addresses songwriting credit controversy

Paul McCartney has admitted to feeling “frustrated” that the murder of John Lennon in 1980 elevated him to the status of a “martyr” – meaning the rest of the Beatles were relegated to the background.

And he argues that the perception that Lennon led the band is usually supported by offsetting his best work against McCartney’s worst.

The 73-year-old tells Esquire: “The Beatles split up and we were all sort of equal. George did his record, John did his, I did mine, Ringo did his. It was as we were during the Beatles’ time.

“When John got shot, aside from the pure horror of it, the lingering thing was, ‘Now John’s a martyr, a JFK.’ I started to get frustrated because people started to say, ‘Well, he was the Beatles.’

“Me, George and Ringo would go, ‘Hang on – it’s only a year ago we were all equal-ish.”

McCartney emphasises that he’s not trying to put down his late colleague’s achievements. “John was the witty one,” he says. “John did a lot of great work and post-Beatles he did more great work. But he also did a lot of not-great work.

“The fact that he’s now martyred has elevated him to a James Dean and beyond. I didn’t mind that – I agreed with it. I understood there was going to be revisionism. It was going to be, ‘John was the one.’

“If you just pull out all his great stuff and then stack it up against my not-so-great stuff, it’s an easy case to make.”

He also deals with speculation that he was never happy with the duo’s work being published under the banner Lennon and McCartney – an agreement he says was reached after he arrived late to a meeting with manager Brian Epstein.

“John and Brian had been talking, and said, ‘We’re thinking we ought to call the songs Lennon and McCartney,’” he recalls. “I said, ‘That’s okay, but what about McCartney and Lennon? If I write it, what about that?’

“They said, ‘Okay, we’ll alternate it – Lennon and McCartney, McCartney and Lennon.’ That didn’t happen, and I didn’t mind.”

But he admits it “became an issue” in certain cases, such as classic track Yesterday. “None of the other Beatles had anything to do with it – I wrote it on my own, sang it on my own,” he says.

“They didn’t mind and I didn’t mind. Nobody minded, but that’s very much mine. So I said, ‘Could we have ‘By Paul McCartney and John Lennon’ – wouldn’t that be a good idea? The original artwork had Yesterday by John Lennon and Paul McCartney’ and a photo of John above it. I went, ‘Come on, lads.’ Anyway, they wouldn’t do it.”

Responding to the accusation of “dancing on a dead man’s grave” he says: “It was nothing to do with a big head. It’s just to do with identifying who wrote what.

“John did a really good interview where he did that: ‘This is mine, this is Paul’s.’ I thought, ‘Just use that – John said it.’ I thought that was perfectly reasonable, and I still do, by the way. But I don’t think it’s achievable for some reason.”

JimJam

Reaction score
Good grief and yawn. Sir Paulie has been donning his insecurity for years. I seem to recall he tried changing the songwriting billing to McCartney-Lennon at some point.

If anyone in the music world has nothing to worry about concerning his legacy, it's gotta be the surviving member of Lennon-McCartney.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Being shot has nothing to do with it. Lennon and Harrison wrote most of the best Beatles songs while Paul wrote the more poppy tunes. Whatever Paul is going through ( Alzheimer's? , a need for Depends ??? Grumpy old man disease ?? ) in his old age he has really started to show a lack of class here of late ( whining about John, Kanye West ) that began with his lame collaborations with the child bating MJ.

There is a definite reason that people see Lennon as the true heart of the great legacy that was the Beatles. Something cutesy, sugar coated Sir Paul doesn't quite grasp.

Lady Stardust

Reaction score
I like Paul, but he contradicts himself here. He says that they were all equal in popularity, and that John had only come to the forefront after his death. If record execs were pushing to have Lennon's name attached to the songs, over McCartney's wishes, there must have been some prevailing notion during his lifetime (based on talent or popularity...who knows?) that John's name would pull in pull in more money.

-Diana

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh...here we go again they went through this in the past years ever since `70 and the split... to me John was always the best beatle...

JimJam

Reaction score
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh...here we go again they went through this in the past years ever since `70 and the split... to me John was always the best beatle...

Yep, here we go again! It was around the late '80s or early '90s when i read an interview, Paul saying how he was every bit in touch with the artsy community in England as John was in the '60s; how he, Paul, would check out avant-garde events and modern composers. He didn't want to be perceived as the light-poppy side of the team. It was the same unnecessary insecurity as he showed in the current interview.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Yep, here we go again! It was around the late '80s or early '90s when i read an interview, Paul saying how he was every bit in touch with the artsy community in England as John was in the '60s; how he, Paul, would check out avant-garde events and modern composers. He didn't want to be perceived as the light-poppy side of the team. It was the same unnecessary insecurity as he showed in the current interview.

JimJam :bow: both men are ICONS...Paul needs to grow up...73yrs or is it 73mths

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings about this. Paul really got these comments wrong for starters. On the other hand, Lennon was never the 'God' that many people believe him to be. I also think Macca has somehow missed the point. Lennon/McCartney is a brand, much the same as McDonalds. I don't think anybody ever thought he was the lesser individual for being the second name. He cannot change that stuff - it's written in stone.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Tragic death in the wider scope always creates a mythos around Rock Stars and honestly the fact that it cuts out their input before they can make too many albums just helps them out even more. A lot of people really grab on to a certain peak period in an artists life and is ready to hop off shortly after that marking a decline in the artist work in their eyes. It comes down to most prolific artist wanting to move on with their creative life and not just going back to the same well. The hardcores will hold on but most people believe that an artist has about 2-3 good albums in them. Paul McCartneys had a lot of time to do a lot of music ventures but the fact that people can go back to Lennons core work over and over and obsess over what was created and make up what could have been is much more intriguing. Anyway, Pauls obsession with whose legacy is more valuable is very petty and perception is something he has no control over. he should be glad he got a full life where he's allowed to still create and know he can make more than a living at it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliebell

Staff online

Members online