Mark Knopfler (Official Thread)

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to the solo work of the former Dire Straits singer/frontman/lead guitarist and main songwriter, Mark Knopfler. :geetar:

Solo albums
Golden Heart (1996)
Sailing To Philadelphia (2000)
The Ragpicker's Dream (2002)
Shangri-La (2004)
Kill To Get Crimson (2007)
Get Lucky (2009)
Privateering (2012)
Tracker (2015)

He has also done a number of soundtracks:

Soundtracks
Local Hero (1983)
Cal (1984)
Comfort And Joy (1984)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Last Exit To Brooklyn (1989)
Screenplaying (1993, compilation)
Wag the Dog (1998)
Metroland (1999)
A Shot at Glory (2002)

Mark Knopfler official website
http://www.markknopfler.com/

Mark Knopfler's Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knopfler

There is already an official Dire Straits thread but I thought it was worth starting a new thread for his solo career as the increasingly celtic and folk influenced compositions he has done over the last 20 years or so have moved away from the original rock sound of his former band. Mark Knopfler has actually now released more studio albums solo (eight) than he did with Dire Straits (six), and he has shown very little enthusiasm for a reunion.

I must admit I wasn't quite sure which section this fitted best in but I decided to place it in the 90s music section because he released his first non-soundtrack solo album Golden Heart in 1996.

I am mostly familiar with his first four solo albums, of which my favourite is Sailing To Philadelphia. It has some absolutely great tunes and the duets with James Taylor (the title track) and Van Morrison (The Last Laugh) are excellent. Shangri-La is also an excellent album is full of the sort of storytelling songs that Mark has always, with a refreshingly stripped back production style. I haven't heard much from the latest album although I quite liked the one song I did hear (Beryl).

I have to be honest and say that anyone hoping for catchy hits like Money For Nothing or Walk Of Life will probably be disappointed with much of the material Mark's solo albums, but if you always liked the more understated Dire Straits songs and loved the characters and stories then you should find plenty to love.

Some great songs by Knopfler (I might post some videos later):
- Going Home (Theme of the Local Hero) (Local Hero soundtrack, 1983)
(This is the only song I'll mention from his soundtrack albums as it is absolutely essential if you are a Knopfler fan)
- Don't You Get It (Golden Heart)
- Done With Bonaparte (Golden Heart)
- What It Is (Sailing To Philadelphia)
- Silvertown Blues (Sailing To Philadelphia)
- Speedway At Nazareth (Sailing To Philadelphia)
- Why Aye Man (The Ragpicker's Dream)
- Fare Thee Well Northumberland (The Ragpicker's Dream)
- 5.15 AM (Shangri-La)
- Boom, Like That (Shangri-La)
- The Trawlerman's Song (Shangri-La)
- So Far From The Clyde (Get Lucky)

(P.S. Sorry the image is at the bottom, I know it should be at the top... should have checked how to do this before posting so my fault).

Attachments

• Knopfler.jpg
    Knopfler.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 13

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Fab write up! Got to admit I don't have much of Knopfler's solo stuff but I do love all of the music on the Local Hero soundtrack.

I have all of Dire Straits albums though :D

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
There is already an official Dire Straits thread but I thought it was worth starting a new thread for his solo career as the increasingly celtic and folk influenced compositions he has done over the last 20 years or so have moved away from the original rock sound of his former band.

Couldn't agree more!!!

I'm a big fan of Knopfler, with Dire Straits and also solo. A lot of people seem to write off his solo albums as kindda boring, particularly in recent years, but I think most of his albums just need time and will grow on you. As for favourite albums, well, if we're talking really solo, I think I agree with "Sailing To Philadelphia", but of all his works away from Dire Straits, my favourite is "All the Roadrunning" with Emmylou Harris (one of my all-time favourite female artists).

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to the solo work of the former Dire Straits singer/frontman/lead guitarist and main songwriter, Mark Knopfler. :geetar:

Solo albums
Golden Heart (1996)
Sailing To Philadelphia (2000)
The Ragpicker's Dream (2002)
Shangri-La (2004)
Kill To Get Crimson (2007)
Get Lucky (2009)
Privateering (2012)
Tracker (2015)

He has also done a number of soundtracks:

Soundtracks
Local Hero (1983)
Cal (1984)
Comfort And Joy (1984)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Last Exit To Brooklyn (1989)
Screenplaying (1993, compilation)
Wag the Dog (1998)
Metroland (1999)
A Shot at Glory (2002)

Mark Knopfler official website
http://www.markknopfler.com/

Mark Knopfler's Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knopfler

There is already an official Dire Straits thread but I thought it was worth starting a new thread for his solo career as the increasingly celtic and folk influenced compositions he has done over the last 20 years or so have moved away from the original rock sound of his former band. Mark Knopfler has actually now released more studio albums solo (eight) than he did with Dire Straits (six), and he has shown very little enthusiasm for a reunion.

I must admit I wasn't quite sure which section this fitted best in but I decided to place it in the 90s music section because he released his first non-soundtrack solo album Golden Heart in 1996.

I am mostly familiar with his first four solo albums, of which my favourite is Sailing To Philadelphia. It has some absolutely great tunes and the duets with James Taylor (the title track) and Van Morrison (The Last Laugh) are excellent. Shangri-La is also an excellent album is full of the sort of storytelling songs that Mark has always, with a refreshingly stripped back production style. I haven't heard much from the latest album although I quite liked the one song I did hear (Beryl).

I have to be honest and say that anyone hoping for catchy hits like Money For Nothing or Walk Of Life will probably be disappointed with much of the material Mark's solo albums, but if you always liked the more understated Dire Straits songs and loved the characters and stories then you should find plenty to love.

Some great songs by Knopfler (I might post some videos later):
- Going Home (Theme of the Local Hero) (Local Hero soundtrack, 1983)
(This is the only song I'll mention from his soundtrack albums as it is absolutely essential if you are a Knopfler fan)
- Don't You Get It (Golden Heart)
- Done With Bonaparte (Golden Heart)
- What It Is (Sailing To Philadelphia)
- Silvertown Blues (Sailing To Philadelphia)
- Speedway At Nazareth (Sailing To Philadelphia)
- Why Aye Man (The Ragpicker's Dream)
- Fare Thee Well Northumberland (The Ragpicker's Dream)
- 5.15 AM (Shangri-La)
- Boom, Like That (Shangri-La)
- The Trawlerman's Song (Shangri-La)
- So Far From The Clyde (Get Lucky)

(P.S. Sorry the image is at the bottom, I know it should be at the top... should have checked how to do this before posting so my fault).

Couldn't agree more!!!

I'm a big fan of Knopfler, with Dire Straits and also solo. A lot of people seem to write off his solo albums as kindda boring, particularly in recent years, but I think most of his albums just need time and will grow on you. As for favourite albums, well, if we're talking really solo, I think I agree with "Sailing To Philadelphia", but of all his works away from Dire Straits, my favourite is "All the Roadrunning" with Emmylou Harris (one of my all-time favourite female artists).

its all been said above...count me in too! :bow:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online