Magma!

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
a french prog band that uses language they made up for nearly all of their music. they were pretty tough to get into at first for me, but after that i loved them :grinthumb any other fans on this board?

2009_04_07_magma.jpg

Discography
1970: Magma (reissued as Kobaïa)
1971: 1001° Centigrades
1973: Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh
1974: Ẁurdah Ïtah
1974: Köhntarkösz
1976: Üdü Ẁüdü
1978: Attahk
1984: Merci
2004: K.A. (Köhntarkösz Anteria)
2009: Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré (CD + DVD)
2012: Félicité Thösz

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have boxed set of Magma's albums Tattoo'd, and I agree they are a band that either grows on you or you move on. I'll have to look and see which ones I have in there.

Been a long time since I played any of their albums...:think:

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Any videos? I always like to see examples from the fans! If you don't know how to embed youtube vids yet I'll PM you how! :grinthumb

thanks! i know how to embed videos i just don't have any at the moment but ill try to find some later tonight

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am first to say, I have no clue who this band is. I am like Sooty, I like to see videos of what the fans like first......and if I dont like them, I wont throw bricks or anything like that, but will gracefully say :yuk:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't think you will like them Magic,,,they are defintely different. I don't know if I could offer an accessible album for you to check out.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
MAGMA!!!

say it loud say it proud. :heheh:
Big fan of Magma and Christian Vander. was a mild fan after getting a prog bands box set and heard two songs by them back in the mid 90's. Then I saw them in 2003 and was blown away by their performance. Yes Magma is a strange band that can throw you for a loop the first time you hear them. Christian Vander, the drummer, is the leader of the band and has replaced parts over the past 40+ years but has kept it going. I saw them again in 2007 and they were even better with some new young blood.

Magma blends fusion jazz with rock accents and them throws in a opera-like choir arrangement with four or five singers. As Tatoo'd lady stated they have their own language and the music is so different they basically created their own Genre (Zeuhl). Don't let the opera choir arrangement scare you away they are just as much a rocking intense band. Their new album that came out last year is excellent-this sums it up:

"The bulk of Emehntehtt-Re is taken up by the four-part title suite, which incorporates all the elements of the classic Magma sound — lightning-fast bass runs, stormy-but-fleet Elvin Jones-influenced drumming, Bartok-meets-Mahavishnu Orchestra harmonic sensibilities, and vocals that alternate between creepy, Carl Orff-like group chants and solo singing that combines stentorian, operatic tones and jazzy ululations. Discounting a quick outro, things close with the doomy clang of "Funehrarium Kanht," a properly intimidating track that could have fallen off the soundtrack to the scariest gothic horror film never made. Spooky, jazzy, bewildering, intimidating — if that doesn't add up to classic-sounding Magma, what does?"

1977 MAgma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9yaYvrp3B4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o0WPAE8v3o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfEaAQFk0Is

If you like Magma check out this japanese influenced by MAgma band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiy8MHXUu8o

Magma NEARfest 07
701308174_9298b18aa4.jpg

700414693_8d844042b7.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
MAGMA!!!

Don't let the opera choir arrangement scare you away they are just as much a rocking intense band. Their new album that came out last year is excellent-this sums it up:

I listened to every second of every vid here! As a forum with pretty much a ton of mega-prog fans these guys may have an audience. For me personally I just don't like continuous jamming. I have exceptions in my taste where I like a continuous melody but the music I struggle getting into the most is Jazz which explains why this wouldn't work for me. Ironically, what you warned about was what stood out as one of thefew things I like. The weird operatic vocals that added a haunting ethereal element to the music which otherwise sounded more like a jam band than even a lot of the prog I've been exposed to here! Overall, respectable as musicians no doubt but not something I'm ashamed to say I wouldn't particularly listen to. Thanks for the chance to here them though guys! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
They are definitely an acquired taste Soot.

They remind of Sigur Ros in a way, the fact that they use vocals as another instrument rather than normal lyrics a lot of the time.(Or more appropriately Sigur Ros reminds me of Magma seeing they predate my Icelandic phenoms by Decades.:tup:)

I'll see if I can find their most accessible album and post it for any other Borderline prog fans.:mn:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online