• Lynyrd Skyryrd

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • ZZ Top

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Skynyrd's first 5 albums rank up there as one of the best 5-straight album runs of all time. They didn't put out some crap first and then hit their stride, they hit the ground running with the debut album and ran for 5 incredible albums.

ZZ Top started a little slower, although their first 5 albums were all good as well, with each one being better than the previous for the first four. Tejas was a step backwards in my opinion.

Anyway, I think the only truly fair way to judge these two bands is by their work in the 70's for the reason that Skynyrd was done in late 1977 after the plane crash and didn't do anything again until the early 90's.

Based on entire careers with both bands, I have to take ZZ Top based on their 70's and 80's work. IF we went with just the first 5 albums from each (as they started around the same time period), then I have to take Skynyrd in a landslide.

In the past few months, I've been listening to a LOT of the 70's ZZ Top albums and I have to say that I've found a HUGE new appreciation for their first couple of albums. My original vote was ZZ Top, so that isn't going to change, however, I do not agree with my previous sentiment that based on the first 5 albums alone, Skynyrd would beat the first 5 ZZ Top albums in any sort of a landslide. I may have swung completely the other way and now say that even on those first 5 albums, ZZ Top was a better band and that -is- saying alot since I give a ton of props to Skynyrd for their first 5.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Skynyrd by far.
Mt Rushmore of Rock.
Beatles, Stones, Skynryd, Allman Bro's.

Ronnie was a genuine prophet of the working man.
Words to live by....

Last edited:

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
What happened when The Rolling Stones and Lynyrd Skynyrd played Knebworth
https://www.loudersound.com/features/knebworth-76-stones-late-show

QUOTE...
Thirty-one years on and I’ve never witnessed a crowd react to a support band in the same way that Knebworth did to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Somewhere between the first chorus and the second verse the band went from unknown names to full-fledged stars. “Skynyrd caused a real buzz backstage,” remembers Freddy Bannister. “We all wondered how anyone could follow them.” An hour later, we all began to wonder if anyone would even try.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Members online